Author Topic: Kickstarter is paused  (Read 14329 times)

Offline Rotacak on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:20 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
For those without facebook:

We are sorry to inform you, that Tremulous 2 Kickstarter is now subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.This process can last up to 10 days, the project’s funding and the countdown to its deadline have been stopped. It happened because creator of the original game Tim Angus reported our project for using the name "Tremulous" and due to the similarity of content. Therefore we decided to diassociate of the original game, make no tribute to the original creators at all and in fact, don't even consider it as a spiritual successor any more.

Your pledge on Kickstarter is currently still active. We are very thankful for your backup, however if you’d like to manage your pledge, we understand it.

Because we usually look at the bright side of things, we see that as a chance to get rid of the shackles of the original game and as a new possibility, that will allow us to make even more variable and complex game. We want to assure you, that the development of our project will not be affected by this and we are now commited to bring you a great game more than ever. The game, we would love to play. And we will!

But for now...

We need a brilliant new name for the game! Come visit our forum and tell us what name it should be.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:54:30 PM by Rotacak »

Offline TheTravellingMerchant #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:43:05 PM

• Junior
  • Hello all! (I'm the Cookie Monster from GPP)
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Aww, thats a shame D: Does this mean that EVERYTHING has to change? (Aliens looks, names, human buildings, ect.

Offline Rotacak #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:57 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It is possible. Now we do not want to make a successor to that game anymore. We want to make our great game.

Offline EpicalDude #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:06:30 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Aww, thats a shame D: Does this mean that EVERYTHING has to change? (Aliens looks, names, human buildings, ect.

Intellectual - Slavery can try to use law to make this game
- not use given name
- not use similar shapes of aliens
- not use similar game play types
- not use similar certain small ideas like "how to do lights" or "idea that game players can gather points from looking at ads in-game and then spend them on buying weapons"

Patents, copyrights, and other bad things.

Btw, I find this a bit amusing that you still support intellectual slavery (extorting money from players - e.g. you can send armed people to take him away to cage if he used his computer to make a copy of the game files).

So I wonder, how would T2 do in shoes of T1 developers then..
If I would make new game and call it Tremulous3 or Tremulous-Fire 2
If I would copy your game files and play them
If I would copy your game files and take money when I give it to other people

anyway T1 move was not nice
http://forum.tremulous2.com/index.php?topic=48.msg596#msg596
Gunther (junior admin) : "break the forums"
Challenge accepted :8 (I won)

Offline Rotacak #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:34 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
So I wonder, how would T2 do in shoes of T1 developers then..
If I would make new game and call it Tremulous3 or Tremulous-Fire 2
If I would copy your game files and play them
If I would copy your game files and take money when I give it to other people

anyway T1 move was not nice
We wanted to use Tremulous name, because we wanted to resurrect this game. With Tremulous name, we would lost any rights to that name (not even obtained them). So anybody still could make Tremulous 3, 4, 5. It was bad for us but I was so big fan of this game and I accepted it.

Now we will have brand new name and nobody will be able to make "ourname 2, 3, 4...".

About copying that files - if you talking about assets, we planned and still planning to allow distribute these assets for free and even commercial use under one condition; if you will use it, you have to add vissible link to our website/etc, something like "This project using object ABC from www.thisgame.com".
We need to discuss this more, it should not affect in-game shop in some negative way but this is the plan.

Offline Gunther #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:34 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
The devs name says it all:
Take away the "g" in Timbos full name, say outload, and the hidden truth is revealed.
(Truth aside)
If a new name is needed, even new models, it will take work of course but it is not as bad as it could've been under certain circumstances. Have we lost any player support? No. Those on this forum seem to still be loyal, and it's not like th idiots at the tremulous.net forums were going to pay for it anyway.
Is Kickstarter gone? No, only paused.
Do we still have our granger pillows? (Or moostices or spangnolds–whatever they'll be called)
Yes.

And it's very good for something like this to happen now in the developmental stages instead of right before it is published or when it had been selling for a while. This way now it can only change and go up from here.  :)
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline EpicalDude #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:47:58 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
The devs name says it all:
Take away the "g" in Timbos full name, say outload, and the hidden truth is revealed.
(Truth aside)
If a new name is needed, even new models, it will take work of course but it is not as bad as it could've been under certain circumstances. Have we lost any player support? No. Those on this forum seem to still be loyal, and it's not like th idiots at the tremulous.net forums were going to pay for it anyway.
Is Kickstarter gone? No, only paused.
Do we still have our granger pillows? (Or moostices or spangnolds–whatever they'll be called)
Yes.

And it's very good for something like this to happen now in the developmental stages instead of right before it is published or when it had been selling for a while. This way now it can only change and go up from here.  :)

You can be sued (Rota) for using shape of granger and so on.
BUT
luckily the intellectual slavery laws of this game (as seen by 2013 USA, UK communists and other fascist legal systems) DO ALLOW to copy all this media and sell them, if you will just somehow attribute tremulous and maybe provide some kind of source. Talk to lawyer and get it resolved :)
http://forum.tremulous2.com/index.php?topic=48.msg596#msg596
Gunther (junior admin) : "break the forums"
Challenge accepted :8 (I won)

Offline TheTravellingMerchant #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:34:58 AM

• Junior
  • Hello all! (I'm the Cookie Monster from GPP)
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
So are the plushy grangers still rewards for the kickstarter? Or is rota going to sell them or something? As said above, its probably legal to do both. Probably.

Offline (PL) cool boy #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:37 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
That sucks but i have some ideas for new name of trem2: Grangerland, Grangerbattle, Grangerophilia, GlaxyGrangers, StarGrangers, SuperGrangers, Granger&Humans, ThePlanetOfGrangers, GrangersWorld, TimeOfGrangers, TheYearOfGrangers, TheAgeOfGrangers, Grangers&Gods, GrangerAnUnexpectedCamp, Granger$ReturnOfThePPNL, Granger&TwoRets, Granger&FellowShipOfTheJettard, Grangers&Evolusion, Granger&Revolusion, GrangerSelection, PowerGrangers, GrangerMan, GrangerMan. write in your post name of u favourite name XD
i like tremulous....and grangers

Offline MegaMedic #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:02:51 AM

• Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just try to leave that words like "Granger" "-ous at end of word" "Trem"

We just want to forget about Trem and try to change everything.

Offline Rotacak #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:09:11 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
We can use name and we can use shape as anyone else. But we do not want it anymore so it is does not matter. Interesting thing is, how creator of open source game (you know, words as "freedom" etc.) suddently wake up and start kicking around in this time, when there is no product, no profit, nothing. This is full of paradoxes, but it is good material for my book.

Kickstarter is paused but that means nothing. It would be unsuccessfull anyway. Reporting that had no sense.

I was cured from my fan blinding (from my view too late, but globally very early). Now we will create new game without adore to some other developers.

Offline (PL) cool boy #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:04 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Soo we have little problem.
i like tremulous....and grangers

Offline Loki #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:53:32 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Soo we have little problem.

nah it wouldnt come to 50k $ anyways

Offline ViruS #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:26:26 PM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
How bout a combination of user's names?
Virotnalflokmegamedtravellingmechepical Gunmedic?
Okay that was a joke, but there are possibilities. You might never know, rotingnalfcake might be a good one
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Lava Croft #14 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:08 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
You asked Timbo about using the name 'Tremulous' and got a 'No, create your own game'. You went on ahead anyway and tried to make money with it, which is probably the reason Timbo reported your Kickstarter project.

Don't go cry about how 'suddenly' Timbo woke up to the fact that Tremulous 2 exists. I think what Timbo did was nothing more than give you the time you need in order to change the project's name and art assets.

The fact that a game is 'open-source' can mean very different thing for very different games. Just look at how open-source the Quake engine is, but not its name nor its art assets (textures, sounds, whatever). While Tremulous' code may be licensed under the GPL, Tremulous' name and art assets surely aren't.

Just stop hating on Timbo for not giving you the answer you desired, thank him for the fact that he lead the team that created Tremulous and take all your experience in and love for Tremulous towards a new, original game. Just like Timbo did when he was a big fan of Gloom and started the development on Tremulous.

Oh, and good luck with writing about Timbo in your book. That's probably more recognition than he ever recieved for Tremulous.

This message is unknown to and not endorsed by Timbo and/or DarkLegion