Author Topic: Murnatan will be free!  (Read 21069 times)

Offline Rotacak on: January 10, 2017, 03:42:33 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
1) first popular question: How much will it cost?
After long time we decided to change one very important aspect of game. And that is price. Murnatan will be free for everyone 8)

But this nice change have one dark side. That side is one reason why Tremulous died. What is it?: griefers. When game is free then anyone can play it and anyone can ruin games (team kills, team base kills, deconning, ghosting, blocking...) just for "fun". That player can be banned but because of game is free then nothing stops him to create another account and continue with griefing.

We are prepared for these griefers and we will eliminate this dark side. How? By good admin system and with good server features for server owners. So don't worry.

2) second popular question: When it will be released?
Release is planned to: 6/2017

But expect alpha version where some things can work not so good.

And in 12/2017 is planned to release in-game shop.

Offline Nomad #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:14:17 PM

• Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Great news, if there's a solid adminbase like in the old trem the trolls won't be a problem. I'm glad the alpha is due to release after my finals, otherwise I would have to repeat the year.

Offline Machine Medic #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:51:49 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
<.>

Quite surprised and confused by this news.  Was really looking forward to paid steam accounts:  Allowing people to acquire a new copy of the game for free each time they get banned will open the flood gates for evaders.

However, as long as the right tools are provided (that Trem never had), there may still be hope.

Things like server whitelist mode (preferably hot-switchable without server restarts), server-server ban sharing, and enhanced user identification tools (i.e. the ability to identify by hardware ID or other tamper-resistant local machine information) will make it manageable.

As far as the business side of things is concerned, I assume you will now be planning on making most or all of your profits off of the in-game market when it is implemented?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:04:32 AM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Oblivion #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:27 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
We'll be waiting. Rotacak let me know when you're ready for some servers for this, I'm prepared to offer 4 test servers for game play.

Offline ViruS #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:36:40 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
I don't think griefers "killed tremulous" but its more about the gameplay becoming stagnant for veterans and too annoying to configure and get used to for new players with the old graphics and shitty menus. To me, griefers may put me off for a day or two, but that's it. The thing that annoys me the most is the outdated netcode, lack of will to seed other servers and client prediction reliability with high latencies that i usually play with (300+ ping).

I'm very surprised about this. I was like
what the fucking shit fucks happened to fucking influnce his decision?!? What about his fucking job?!? His house!?!
so at the moment i'm actually more worried about your company making profit or not from this. Game developement companies generally don't earn much afterall.

A major question for me though is, "Will I be able to modify game content?"

The closest comparison i can get at the moment is Natural Selection 2: It is a commerical game, has had shitty developer decisions and a premature game engine, locked away out of the public's reach. However the game logic code (similar to the game/cgame/server files for the tremulous source code) are available to the public in the form of lua scripting. It has its own limitation since there are many prefixed variables that the public cannot change such as changing the sounds over from the stock sounds without fucking over with the game engine, or even something as simple as allowing the game console to scroll into its history.

I know murnatan will be modifyable, but the only confirmation i got a few years ago was "to change variables" but that's it. From that statement, i wouldn't even be able to do what i've done to ns2 in the form of tremns2 where i even modified the physics themselves, which is not as simple as chaning command variables. I hope this will be doable.

Anyway with that question out of the way,
Wahoo! I can see the community growing substantially from this single statement when it gets released. I fear that it may even kill Tremulous 1.3's release and kill off the tremulous community before i predicted 4 years ago (2018, extended to 2020 with tremulous 1.3's developement), but who knows...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:52:39 AM by ViruS »
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Rotacak #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:07:27 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
<.>

Quite surprised and confused by this news.  Was really looking forward to paid steam accounts:  Allowing people to acquire a new copy of the game for free each time they get banned will open the flood gates for evaders.

However, as long as the right tools are provided (that Trem never had), there may still be hope.

Things like server whitelist mode (preferably hot-switchable without server restarts), server-server ban sharing, and enhanced user identification tools (i.e. the ability to identify by hardware ID or other tamper-resistant local machine information) will make it manageable.
I would like to evade identifications based on hardware or even IP. Because it is hackable can be not unique. Better is to configure custom server to allow connecting new players when:
- they have minimum level X
- they played game atleast X hours
- have that minimal age of steam account
- shared bans

And later will be possible to secure your server also by payment - only players whose will pay X amount of money will be accepted to join. In that case it is similar to common not-free game.

As far as the business side of things is concerned, I assume you will now be planning on making most or all of your profits off of the in-game market when it is implemented?

This option was in gameplan from start. Just that switching to free to play was based and planned on popularity. But lot of things changed from that time and I think that start as free is better now. So yes, most of profits (maybe all) will be from in-game shop where you will be able to buy better looking things. It will not be paytowin because paytowin is not fun and I want to have fun game where skill wins. That is reason why you will not find things like this in shop: stronger weapons, bigger magazines, better armour etc. Instead there will be: skins, effects, animations etc.

Offline Machine Medic #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:20 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Quick question before I'm late to work:  Will official (AAA Games) add-on maps be sold in the store, or will all official maps be made available free of charge?
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

Offline Loki #7 on: January 11, 2017, 03:35:38 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards

I fear that it may even kill Tremulous 1.3's release and kill off the tremulous community before i predicted 4 years ago (2018, extended to 2020 with tremulous 1.3's developement), but who knows...

Care to explain this part? What 1.3?

Offline Machine Medic #8 on: January 11, 2017, 04:40:20 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"Tremulous 1.3" is the working name for GrangerHub's unofficial Tremulous continuation project.  To date, it is essentially a collection of back-end updates and gameplay changes.  Personally, I don't see it ever reviving Tremulous from the dead like they are planning, but it is still kind of fun to toy around with.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:43:13 PM by Machine Medic »

Offline Rotacak #9 on: January 11, 2017, 08:00:46 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Quick question before I'm late to work:  Will official (AAA Games) add-on maps be sold in the store, or will all official maps be made available free of charge?
Another new official maps will be free for players.

For server owners will be MAYBE paid. Not sure yet.

Offline Machine Medic #10 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:43 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
If you do charge server owners for maps, I would only ask that you consider releasing them exclusively in packs of 3-5.  Buying a map pack or two is no big deal, but having to buy 15 separate maps (or trying to figure out which servers have which) would get to be a real pain.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:51:19 PM by Machine Medic »

Offline Ckit #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:55:55 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Interesting and exciting news. I hope it works out.

Offline ViruS #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:15:58 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
What's AAA's main means of obtaining profit now then?
Personally, I don't see it ever reviving Tremulous from the dead like they are planning, but it is still kind of fun to toy around with.
I will see it extending the life of the game by about 2 years as mentioned earlier, however only if the project gets completed. It includes multi protocol server/client (connects to both gpp, 1.2 gpp and 1.1 similarly to how there are already 4 servers that are already usable by all three protocols), new assets (though mainly the sound asset is what i think will kill the project similarly to how it somewhat demotivated 1.2's development), and should come with Swirl, (mixed 1.1/gpp balance) Strawberry (unique gameplay), vanilla (1.1) and chocolate (gpp) gameplay balances. I know it's a long trip, but there's been a lot of support recently, it's even got more developement than unvanquished and there's been work on a game engine that supposidly surpasses ioquake3 and daemon. If AAA releases their game by 2018, it will likely hault the grangerhub's community developement and result in a similar situation that unvanquished is in currently...
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.

Offline Machine Medic #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
@Virus:

Quote from: Rotacak
yes, most of profits (maybe all) will be from in-game shop where you will be able to buy better looking things. It will not be paytowin because paytowin is not fun and I want to have fun game where skill wins. That is reason why you will not find things like this in shop: stronger weapons, bigger magazines, better armour etc. Instead there will be: skins, effects, animations etc.

Offline ViruS #14 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:10 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
@Virus:

Quote from: Rotacak
yes, most of profits (maybe all) will be from in-game shop where you will be able to buy better looking things. It will not be paytowin because paytowin is not fun and I want to have fun game where skill wins. That is reason why you will not find things like this in shop: stronger weapons, bigger magazines, better armour etc. Instead there will be: skins, effects, animations etc.
I never mentioned the issue of pay to win. Also, simply selling skins and maps is not enough for a company to survive (Example: Unknown Worlds Entertainment has both sold the game AND sold skins, yet they did not make much profit out of it - Most of their profit seems to come from subnautica)