Author Topic: Reactor & Overmind Invulnerability  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Sonno on: April 06, 2018, 02:01:07 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
The reactor and overmind invulnerability given during sudden death is a game breaker. Could you please make them vulnerable.

When invulnerable they can be used to block area and make a near impenetrable base. Apart from that issue the invulnerability actually makes games 15-30 minutes longer than they should be. I can imagine this is an easy fix, and this would make games much more enjoyable.

-Sonno

Offline Prophet #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:13 AM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The current base building meta (if we are even mature enough as a game to have a meta) is to simply build an RC/OM the blocks a passageway, then place all of your important structures behind it.  Easy way to build rant proof bases beyond sudden death.

Offline Machine Medic #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:42:22 AM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Armory & DC construction needs to be re-enabled during SD.  Slowing down rant charges with a sacrificial DC is a legitimate tactic.

It would also be nice to have the SD clock halted whenever either of the two teams has 0 players.  That way you are less likely to connect to an empty server - only to find that the game is stuck in SD and needs to be reset before you can play.

For shits and giggles, re-enable Extreme Sudden Death votes to take care of that *one* alien camper who hides outside of human radar!  No spawns... and constantly decaying health at 1% per second!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:53:19 AM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Rotacak #3 on: April 06, 2018, 01:58:03 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sonno: How you will block area with RC/OM? Enemy team will destroy it then easily...

Offline Sonno #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:38:06 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Sonno: How you will block area with RC/OM? Enemy team will destroy it then easily...

If you place the RC/OM infront of your base and can keep it alive before SD starts, you are good to go with that tactic, honestly i've had very few games where the enemy team actually kills the RC when I block with it, I haven't done that much with the OM though.

The idea is that the RC/OM is a centerpiece in the game. After sudden death, if you don't protect it, you will lose the game. I mean an option could be allowing rebuild of the RC/OM during sudden death, which I actually think was allowed in Trem. But, making those structures invulnerable really drags the game out.

Offline Prophet #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:46:36 PM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
To add on Sonno said, basically this allows you to build extremely resiliant bases past sudden death.  Basically you build most of your base behind the reactor, then just throw 5 or 6 turrets out in front of the reactor to protect it. This just needs to get you to sudden death without losing, which isn't hard because you can just keep rebuilding the structures when destroyed.  Then once it's sudden death it no longer matters, you can lose all your turrets in front of your reactor but alien won't be able to invade your base.

Edit: I also want to note that even in vanilla tremulous, the best base configurations often put their important structures behind the rc.  This tactic is powerful whether you make them invincible or not.  The reason?  Thee medistation dies in several swipes, the reactor has a lot of health and takes a while to kill.  Yes you lose if you lose your reactor, but you probably lose anyway if you lose your last medistation and armory.  The reactor makes for a nice shield.  In murnatan reactors are even stronger because stackable turrets make it trivial to make your reactor unhoppable and cover the weakness at the top of the reactor
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:52:29 PM by Prophet »

Offline Rotacak #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:12 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
But RC/OM is indestructible only for teammates. Enemy can still destroy it even after SD. And also these structures are rebuildable in SD.

Maybe in current build RC/OM cannot be destroyed with enemy team. If yes, then that is bug, because of wrong detection of teamkills (which can cause this and also bad score etc.). That is already fixed in upcoming update.

Offline Prophet #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:18:22 PM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
But RC/OM is indestructible only for teammates. Enemy can still destroy it even after SD. And also these structures are rebuildable in SD.

Maybe in current build RC/OM cannot be destroyed with enemy team. If yes, then that is bug, because of wrong detection of teamkills (which can cause this and also bad score etc.). That is already fixed in upcoming update.

Ahhh, this makes a lot more sense then.  There is definitely a bug then.  I personally witnessed a rant clawing my rc at sd doing no damage.  Also only after doing 5 saw runs and grenades on the enemy overmind that I realized I was doing nothing

We will test this again after the next update.  Looking forward to it!  :D

Question: why is only OM and RC invincible to teamfire during sudden death?  A griefer can still just destroy all nodes and eggs anyway.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:25:10 PM by Prophet »

Offline Rotacak #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:21 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Question: why is only OM and RC invincible to teamfire during sudden death?  A griefer can still just destroy all nodes and eggs anyway.
Spawns too. But in new update will be "friendly buildable fire off" so no teammate will be able to destroy own base.

Offline Prophet #9 on: April 07, 2018, 12:35:54 AM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sounds good to me.  Anything to make it easier for the steam newbies, hopefully they get interested in the game