Author Topic: Any hope?  (Read 7762 times)

Offline thatRABBITdude on: July 31, 2019, 07:41:40 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hello. I came across this game while doing some Google searching for an older game called Tremulous. It's quite obvious that's what this game is based off of. The buildings and creatures have some of the same names as those from Tremulous and even the loading screen is almost identical. Is there any hope at all for this game? Is anything being done with it? I know there was a server update of some kind not too long ago, but is it being advertised or promoted in any way? This game is basically what I've been looking for for a REALLY long time and i would like to see more than the "test" server and some people actually playing it. It has a lot of great potential and would probably make a decent sum from skins for armor, guns, and creatures to keep it "free to play" and continue to afford to update it. It would just be nice to see this game succeed after so many years of enjoyment from the Tremulous community almost 15 years ago. I'm gonna try to get some of my streaming friends to play it with me and maybe get some kind of traffic coming in, but it will be only minuscule, if it works at all. Also, is there a way to run a dedicated server other than through a personal computer? I'm assuming there aren't any websites that do hosting for this game. Just figured I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

Offline Rotacak #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:53 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi,

thanks for your support.

I hope that there is the hope:

1) Unrealistic: players will start to play it from nowhere and it will become popular.
2) Realistic: I will make money, make the team again and I will start to advertise it. But this will still take time.

Until that I can do only minor updates (I would like to add admin system atleast). Also maybe some AI players could help.

The dedicated server is possible to run anywhere. In the same way like on a server. That should be no problem at all.

Offline thatRABBITdude #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:32:39 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Just out of curiosity, did you have any part in the programming of Tremulous or are you just a fan who wanted to make a similar game? I just thought maybe you had something to do with it since you have a bunch of plush dolls of grangers from Tremulous still for sell even after all of this time. Whatever your connection to the game, I appreciate the effort you've made so far. If it's any consolation, I'm trying to get some friends of mine to get together and play some games. My main goal is to have fun with your game with other people, but also to gather some gameplay footage to put on YouTube and hopefully get some interest in the game. I don't know anything about programming or anything like that, but I'll do what I can to help. I miss Tremulous a lot and would really like to see this game at least get some kind of traffic. So, yea. Thanks again for the game. Even running around by myself as both sides felt like old times.

Edit: By the way, if I host a server, will playing on it with friends effect the gameplay at all? Playing on the test server gives me a ping of over 200 and that's almost as bad as when I played Tremulous on a dial-up modem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:57:28 AM by thatRABBITdude »

Offline Rotacak #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:26:05 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I am just a fan. The plushie is something what "we" (Tremulous players) allways wanted and I created them on the begining when we planned to make same alien visuals.

Sad is that for good gameplay you need atleast about 5 vs 5 players and that is hard to get. Is possible to play with less players too, but it is not so good - like the old Tremulous.

If you will host a server then gameplay will be affected only in a case that you will have slow internet upload or slow CPU. If you have some common resources then it should be absolutely ok.

Offline Aldanno #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:34 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Did you guys try to schedule these play sessions, Rotacak?

Offline Rotacak #5 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:58 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Did you guys try to schedule these play sessions, Rotacak?
I am really not good at sheduling some play sessions and seeking players for it.

Offline ViruS #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:58:35 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
I'm really curious considering you  sold your house and all, how much money did you sink into this project and the company? If I was in your position I would've given up there and there. I'm sure there are still ways around this without having to invest as much money (A common place to advertise are lower-end youtubers these days for example) or to literally invade other games through indirect means.

A while back I kinda recreated some of the essense gameplay of tremulous into natural selection 2 and somehow it got featured in an official tournament. Unfortunately I was never trained in programming so I literally learnt through trial and error, so something as simple as implementing knockback to a grenade launcher took me about 3 weeks to figure out. I also had recreated a 99% copy of ATCS (It's missing a few features like a few decorative pillars) but unfortunately people think it looks too bland (of course) and the map a bit small (the standard is 15 seconds of walking between resource nodes but in this map it was about 8 seconds). Included with the package are floating tutorial panels in the waiting room with a link to the original tremulous home page, successor projects such as T2/Murnatan and Unvanquished, and installation manuals (because we all know that vanilla tremulous was pretty shite)

NS2's kinda dying too at this point, it is an old game and optimisation went down the drain recently, so it isn't the best game to do advertising style modding. But who knows, with some good publicity and the implementation of filler bots to murnatan, murnatan can ressurect.

A major dissatisfaction I listen to across private messages on discord and on youtube comments is that a lot of people dislike the alien "furry" models. It's not like the alien models are copyright and it was only the Tremulous 2 title that was denied as far as I know, so maybe we could possibly make a reversal, or improve upon the alien models too. In addition to this are the game physics, it's not that difficult to implement quake engine style air physics into other game engines,

but you chose to use the UE style air control physics which actually isn't too bad, it only made a small selection of people disgrunted since the tremulous community largely doesn't know how to strafe jump, but it can mess with things like air physics in what could be recreations of maps such as misson_one.

That all is a lot of work however, so it's mostly wishful thinking at this point. Maybe in the future if I have time I can start learning UE, I was recommended to learn it over unity because unlike unity, they actually have a comprehensible game manual, because unity's manual definition of torque physics spring body function calculations: Torque is torque. Literally unhelpful as it doesn't tell you how input becomes output at all.

I've kinda given up on game dev as a possible career at this point because I had figured it was too much work to learn all the niches of languages, along with a few disabilities I have that weren't recognised nor did I knew about until recently.

But something you can do as a start is an alternative to the forums: Who uses simple machine style forums in this day and age? Discord is a common solution, although there are quite a number of downfalls with it including the 100 server limit, but it's great for pick-up-game bots. If you ever do create a discord server and need help managing it, let me know.

[spoiler]ZdrytchX#4887[/spoiler]
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Rotacak #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:12:56 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How much money I invested into Murnatan will tell you nothing. It was 1 500 000,- kč - it is 69 858 USD. For someone from America it would be nothing. For me in Czech Republic it is too much. I never had such money on my bank account. My maximum on my bank account was commonly about 50 000,- kč. To have such money for game was possible only because I got good work (paid right about 50k monthly) and I spent all to my team. Over day I was working in the work then I come home and work on the game until night.

If you imagine that we was working 4-5 years with that money as a team, then it is something unbelievable.

I never like NS2. For the first look it looks similar, but it is quite different game.

About furry models - In the final Murnatan version will be possible to mod the game and replace aliens, weapons, sound to what you want - so even to the Tremulous models (prepared for Unreal Engine). Aliens visual is not the problem. Problem is that there is no AI bots. AI bots are not there because it take time to create them - do too much changes, upgrade to recent UE version and that is complicated. Probably would be better to rewrite game from C++ to Blueprints only, because I do not know C++ and I cannot pay to anyone. And that will take time and time are money and I do not have money.

it's not that difficult to implement quake engine style air physics into other game engines
Actually it is difficult. If you want to have similar behaviour like in Q3 engine, then almost everything is problem. Speeds, sizes, collisions.

But something you can do as a start is an alternative to the forums: Who uses simple machine style forums in this day and age? Discord is a common solution, although there are quite a number of downfalls with it including the 100 server limit, but it's great for pick-up-game bots. If you ever do create a discord server and need help managing it, let me know.
We have discord. But that is only chat. Current social networks works only for this moment. Everything older is forgotten and cannot be found. Forum like this is organized and contains everything easilly searchable thanks to topics.