Author Topic: Toggle-able buildables?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Gunther on: December 15, 2012, 05:25:30 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Well, we know you can turn off things with ease in (the future) Trem 2.

And we know of the new buildings added in RCZ.

So:
1) Can these "new" buildables be turned off? Like if trees and crates are somehow very annoying?

2) Will we be able to make new passive buildables using the map/thing-creator application? Or seriously style the current ones?

Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline ViruS #1 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:31 PM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
Judging from when rotacak said 'customizable' i'll assume there'll be cvars pre-set for this like t_crates 1/0
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline grmg.pl #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:16:12 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
After careful consideration, many hours of testing I have developed special, server set cvar for crates, flowers and other "new buildings":

cg_useless_stuff

It has two distinctive options: off and off.

Offline Gunther #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:59:21 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
After careful consideration, many hours of testing I have developed special, server set cvar for crates, flowers and other "new buildings":

cg_useless_stuff

Seriously? Like a real patch?
Or perhaps sarcasm

Offline Loki #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:12:38 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards

cg_useless_stuff

Seriously? Like a real patch?
Or perhaps sarcasm

Sometimes I consider myself very clever.

Offline Rotacak #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:38 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Well, we know you can turn off things with ease in (the future) Trem 2.

And we know of the new buildings added in RCZ.

So:
1) Can these "new" buildables be turned off? Like if trees and crates are somehow very annoying?

2) Will we be able to make new passive buildables using the map/thing-creator application? Or seriously style the current ones?
1) Yes, server owner and map maker will be able to disable specified buildings, weapons and aliens. You will be able to configure game to behave similar as Tremulous 1.1.

2) Yes, you will be able to create 3D object in any 3D editor, then make package in Unreal Editor and upload it into store.

Offline Prophet #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:19 AM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've put a lot of thoughts into these non-combat (utility buildables) and I have decided I don't think they should share the same BP pool as turrets and the like.   Why build a crate or a tree at the expense of real defenses?  Sure in UBP this is fine, but in regular games, I see no reason to build a crate except in very special circumstances.  What if instead of using BP, we just give each of these buildables a finite limit to how much of each you can build.  (eg 3 crates, 1 tree, x# of bridges, etc)

Offline Gunther #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:52:57 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
I've put a lot of thoughts into these non-combat (utility buildables) and I have decided I don't think they should share the same BP pool as turrets and the like.   Why build a crate or a tree at the expense of real defenses?  Sure in UBP this is fine, but in regular games, I see no reason to build a crate except in very special circumstances.  What if instead of using BP, we just give each of these buildables a finite limit to how much of each you can build.  (eg 3 crates, 1 tree, x# of bridges, etc)
There's a reason why crates cost 1BP and give almost no score, as opposed to a tesla generator. It's easier to code how it is, and a simpler GUI.
Plus, players should be able to build whatever they can when they want...if the situation requires. This also teaches good building habits.  :)

Offline Prophet #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:01 PM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
There's a reason why crates cost 1BP and give almost no score, as opposed to a tesla generator. It's easier to code how it is, and a simpler GUI.
Plus, players should be able to build whatever they can when they want...if the situation requires. This also teaches good building habits.  :)

I'll try to make my point by using an example.

By default, both teams have 100 bp.  For humans, thats 2 nodes, an arm, a medistation, and 7 turrets with 6 BP left over.

A repeater costs 4 BP, so if ever want a forward, that only leaves 2 BP left over.  This would be the only reason I would ever build any of these "utility" buildings.  Any more than two and I'll have to give up actual base defenses, which doesn't make sense to me.  You might be thinking 'Well gee Prophet, more turrets doesn't necessarily mean better.'  While this is sometimes very true, at least the aliens have to take the time to destroy that extra turret, where as they would simply hop over a bunch of crates or something.

Even in UBP CZ server, we see that most of these utility structures go unused (With the exception of the tree, it makes a great super barricade and grass also is very much a worthy structure hide shit even if no one actually does it)  But for the most part, people would rather just stack turrets on top of each other than even worry about crates, bridges and the like.   I go most games without seeing a single "useless" structure in UBP.

If we put these structures on a numeral limit to each instead of a BP value, it will encourage builders to actually use them effectively.  For example, if know I can only build 2 crates (Maybe 3 at S2 then 4 at S3 or something like that) I will use the 2 crates I have accordingly to improve turret positioning as much as possible without actually sacrificing the BP to defend the base.

Finally, it makes sense:  Why should a crate use power???  I don't see people at storage houses plugging in crates to the wall or something, that doesn't make any sense. -.-