Author Topic: please not so fast movement.  (Read 2669 times)

Offline yorksj8857 on: December 21, 2012, 03:28:54 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
hi im big tremulous fan from korea.

ive been publicized tremulous 2 to one of biggest online gaming website in korea
url is http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/pc/27/read?itemId=7&bbsId=G003&articleId=973362

btw its really good to hear that tremulous is going to make sequel

i really enjoyed it

but most i felt bad about this game is only 1 thing

too fast movement speed, it was really made me dizzy during gaming experience

rest of game was perfect

so please consider my opinion for who was not Quake3 players like me who cant handle hyper movement speed

im sorry for my bad grammer and ill keep publicize this game on my country

so good luck for your work and merry christmas !

Offline Loki #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:39 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
thought some botspammer lol
nvm the speed in 1.1 was normal, well maybe humans got superspeed but that at least balanced the chasing and dodging.

Offline ^3Pikachu #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:58:50 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
As big as a Tremulous fan I am, I have to say he has a point.
I showed it to a friend once, and he couldn't believe how fast paced the game is.

But that's not really my beef with it, the game relies heavily on melee for the aliens,
and being so fast paced this makes latency a really big issue at times.
Often times the game just feels unfair because you have no idea what just happened,
usually has to do with the interplay of latency and lag correction.

I'm not sure if slowing down the game is the right thing for Tremulous though.
The speed is what sets it apart from other games like Natural Selection, which just feels like a slug in comparison. Trem is highly skill based, that has it's upsides and downsides. It certainly keeps the game challenging even for top tier players, I never feel like I mastered a class. The downside is the near vertical learning curve, Trem just isn't newb friendly. I think putting in a practice/tutorial mode would help a lot in that regard though.

When I talk about speeds, I'm mainly talking about dretch speed and human sprint in close combat, I feel those 2 are somewhat problematic. If I were to make a tremulous derivative (that's not tremulous) I might consider ditching the dretch and make the basilisk the starting alien (minus the grab).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:05:24 AM by ^3Pikachu »

Offline Rotacak #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:05:15 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
yorksj8857: thanks for your support. But, I think that movement speed is good. I always had another problem - when I tried different game (Battlefield, Counter Strike...) I feel like in slow motion :) Changing speed is not easy, because it will affect whole gameplay.

But if you want to change speed only for your server, then that should not be problem.

Offline Machine Medic #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:12:53 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I'm not sure if slowing down the game is the right thing for Tremulous though.
The speed is what sets it apart from other games like Natural Selection, which just feels like a slug in comparison. Trem is highly skill based, that has it's upsides and downsides. It certainly keeps the game challenging even for top tier players

I've played Trem for 2 years, and I'm just now starting to get good at it myself, but if there's one thing that sets this game completely apart from other, unworthy games, it's the gameplay speed.

In [STARBURST], gameplay was lightning-quick.  the build timer for humans was set to 1/2, aliens at 0.  Two dragoon slashes were lethal to unarmored humans.

I would definitely say do not change the speed mechanics in the game... one of the big parts of Trem is the levels of adrenaline while playing it.  Every single other game feels ridiculously slow compared to it.

If anything else, newbie training servers will probably slow down some of the dps rates and movement speeds just a little to help with training, but vanilla and modded servers will not want slower game mechanics in Trem.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:14:42 PM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Gunther #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:46:37 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Pff, Asians
Always dizzy from fast flashing things.  >_>
I agree with Rotacak; when I play other FPS games, they are incredibly slow. Which doesn't help my aim (I aim better while moving)
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline grmg.pl #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:54:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Often times the game just feels unfair because you have no idea what just happened
Thats skill, not speed. If most of players can execute a 360 while trampling with rant inside ATCS, speed is not an issue.

Offline Gunther #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:45:26 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
O by tha way, I think she's a girl, not a boy.  :P
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline grmg.pl #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:16 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
BTW:

not Quake3 players like me who cant handle hyper movement speed
Go watch Quake 1 ffa or bot deathmatch. That was something. Q2 was much slower, Q3 was DEVELOPED with gamespeed inbetween Q1 and Q2

BTW@BTW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Offline ViruS #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:13 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
nvm the speed in 1.1 was normal, well maybe humans got superspeed but that at least balanced the chasing and dodging.
"super speed" = You were probably on a modded server i.e. X, W etc.
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.