Author Topic: Weapon sounds.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline TheTravellingMerchant on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:46 PM

• Junior
  • Hello all! (I'm the Cookie Monster from GPP)
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I would like to ask about the sounds for weapons, since sounds play a very important role in making guns feel GOOD. The feel of a shotgun for instance can be changed by the sounds, the shotgun itself feels its best when it has a deep, thumping blast every time it fires, followed by a metalic Cla-chunk of the slide racking. Giving a shotgun a generic PEW PEW sound would decrease the feel of it. How will the sounds be made and what kind of sounds will you use?

Offline Rotacak #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:25:10 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shotgun - if you saw Terminator 2 movie - there was very nice shotgun sound. Something similar would be good. I was thinking also if weapons sounds should be slightly changed with stage 2 and 3 to more hard sound.

Chaingun will not be airsoft gun anymore. It must to scare aliens even mile away just because of sound.

How these sounds will be made? Well, we do not have contract with sound engineer yet but we have few of them avaiable for cooperation. It is question for them. Probably he will take sound from some library and make some necessary changes with it to be better. I am not sure if recording these sounds will give good results because it sounds too boring in the reality. But much harder will be creating a something-like real smoke from it :)

Offline MegaMedic #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:48 PM

• Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Do you remember this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PEx1TsPR0

Think what Rotacak made with a simple video and think what he can make with a game! His project will be great!

Offline Machine Medic #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:11 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The music in that video is a royalty-free track.

;)
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline ViruS #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:47:39 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
I reckon the shotty would go well with unsyncronised ricochets after the fire and an instantaneous "chunk" sounding blast despite how unrealistic it may be.
Chaingun will not be airsoft gun anymore.
Really? I thought it as mini bursts... probably would do well with an automatic pistol of some kind...
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.