Author Topic: Map editor  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Machine Medic on: December 03, 2012, 11:55:57 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
We already will pay upwards of $30 for this, why turn it into a money-grubbing game where all map-makers want cash?

A percentage of earnings will likely go to supporting the Devs, and therefore future improvements to T2.

EDIT:

What filetype will maps be in T2?  I'm guessing we're moving on from .pk3 files? 

Might try a few maps myself depending on the program required to make them.

Could the devs even consider making a map editor built into the game client itself, like Portal 2 and other recent Valve games?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:00:19 AM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Rotacak #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:38:35 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What filetype will maps be in T2?  I'm guessing we're moving on from .pk3 files? 

Could the devs even consider making a map editor built into the game client itself, like Portal 2 and other recent Valve games?
Map filetype will be .udk.

We do not plan to integrate editor into game. It is separate application.

Offline ViruS #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:23 PM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards

-->.udk = Another renamed .zip or a proper program will be needed? Sigh if it requires another program....
--> Netradiant v1.5 "2"? Also, what he could possibly mean are things like... uhh... "let's spawn a barrel here to barricade this path to prevent humans from using this vent etc."
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Gunther #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:08:31 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards

Two questions:
1) Will all/most files be in .udk or just map files?
2) Will this "map-maker" program cost money as well? (Although, you would still need to buy the game to test a map...eh..)
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline Rotacak #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:30:02 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards

-->.udk = Another renamed .zip or a proper program will be needed? Sigh if it requires another program....
--> Netradiant v1.5 "2"? Also, what he could possibly mean are things like... uhh... "let's spawn a barrel here to barricade this path to prevent humans from using this vent etc."
You need same tool like we - Unreal development kit. So you have many scripting possibilities.

Two questions:
1) Will all/most files be in .udk or just map files?
2) Will this "map-maker" program cost money as well? (Although, you would still need to buy the game to test a map...eh..)
1) All/most
2) It is free

Offline grmg.pl #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:44:06 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
2) It is free
Does that mean it's available now?

Offline ^3Pikachu #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:56:23 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Unreal Development Kit = Unreal Engine 3 SDK

http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/

It is a completely different engine, file format, etc.
You can't use radiant, you'll need to use UnrealEd.
The brush editing and measurement kind of sucks in unreal, but everything else is way way way nicer to develop.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:00:13 PM by ^3Pikachu »

Offline ViruS #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:49:31 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
I hear from a lot of people that the UDK system sucks and is shit. I haven't actually seen UDK by using it before, but from the sounds of it, it's really simplified with "less features." I have no right to complain (yet) but these are just another person's (sin/pl) words.
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.

Offline Machine Medic #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:30 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just tried UDK.

GTK Radiant can go die in a hole now.

UDK definitely has a steep learning curve, but it's a lot smoother (not to mention much more powerful). 
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

Offline ^3Pikachu #9 on: December 05, 2012, 03:52:43 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
UDK is essentially a freely provided Unreal Engine 3 without source code access. So while UDK is certainly less flexible because you don't have source code access, all the tools are identical to what studios use to build Mass Effect, Borderlands or Gears Of War, etc. People that write it off that easily simply have no clue what they're talking about, UDK is on par with Unity and CryEngine3 SDK. If they tell you it's "crap" then they probably just mean the infantile kind of "it's not my personal favorite, therefor it sucks" or "I played a game that used it a few years ago and only got 20 fps" or nonsense like that. :)

People are of course biased to what they're used to. I have a bit of experience with both, and you can tell a lot more work went into UDK's tools, Radiant is nice (and basic brush editing is still nicer imo) but it's a much more of a bare bones implementation. I think if you spend a few weeks with UDK you wouldn't want to go back to Radiant.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:57:34 PM by ^3Pikachu »

Offline grmg.pl #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards

Offline Rotacak #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:01:04 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
^3Pikachu: Very nice summary :)

2) It is free

So which one is it?
It's UDK, there is only one.

Offline Gunther #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:35:52 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
2) It is free

So which one is it?

It's both; there's a link in this topic for it.
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline Machine Medic #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:04 AM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Been playing around with UDK a bit...

It's definitely a much more powerful mapmaker than GTK could ever be.

Controls are intuitive, once you get used to the steep learning wall (lol).  The terrain function could prove to be interesting in combination with Trem, too. 

The introduction of Unreal's 'materials' in the place of surface textures is a huge graphical improvement as well.  Some 2D surfaces honestly are indistinguishable from 3D realtime renders.

It's also a bit more hassle-free for beginners, I'd imagine too, since you don't need to worry about the void and all in .udk.  With the ability to play the map inside the editor, there's no need for 250 map compiles floating around during the designing process.

In fact it's so nice to use that I wouldn't be surprised if a whole lot more people start making very popular maps for T2, as opposed to a select few, like GMOTW, etc., etc in T1.

All in all:

GTK Radiant can go die in a hole now.

Offline ViruS #14 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:08 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
I was about to download it... now that i see its 1.8 gb... ouch? My internet is limited to 50 gb per month, and we've got relatives comming over... surely, i won't be downloading this anytime soon, probably febuary or so...

Also, question for you rotacak, you said something earlier when the forum was put up that people could make money off making maps... On the UDK website, it says
it’s free for non-commercial use.
so you might want to change that point before another mistake like volt made causes the community to go crazy. Else, we'll all have to buy the commercial license before we can do anything about it. This also creates a problem, as far as i know most tremulous community members are under 18 years old.
3. Digitally sign (you must be least 18 years old), pay for (requires a credit card) and submit your license to Epic
Then again, it's an option to sell for money right? That means we don't have to buy the license.. Thank goodness. My brain is turning to mush...