Author Topic: VOIP? Clan support? Clan rankings?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Loki #15 on: November 24, 2016, 03:28:47 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I bet my buttons that clan support (since Tremulous was popular mainly because of clans) is implemented there, such as adding tags. I hope these tags will also be limited, for example you register a clan with a tag and then there will be no imposters faking both the membership and name, as it happened in the 1.1 version. The only way to discover him was of course via extended playerlist...

EDIT: I kind of changed my opinion, VOIP would be a smart choice for a public server indeed, also it could work well between two clanleaders so they don't have to write things.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:33:53 PM by Loki »

Offline Rotacak #16 on: November 25, 2016, 03:02:08 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Firstly, sorry for the massive necro. I wasn't sure if to make my own post but a lot of the points brought up here are relevant to my questions/discussion.

Is there still support for separate clan tags (meaning not adding them in your nick) like you once stated.

In-game VOIP is pretty useful for team communication in pub gameplay although I think most clans would use third party programs like Discord/TS3. It depends how team orientated you want the game to be. If victory is determined by those who cooperate the most then in-game VOIP is essential. Nobody wants to stand and type to explain to their team and it can often be seen as flaming. Games like League of Legends get a lot of flak for not adding this feature.

You said there would be no clan rankings, is that still the case? Competitive games are attracting more attention over the non competitive games and this is likely due to the popularity of streaming platforms such as Twitch. I think some sort of clan or player leaderboards/rankings and a Murnantan hosted Twitch group would really help boost the competitive scene and provide some free advertisement.

Additionally I would love to see some early hosted tournaments. In recent games I've seen that this really keeps the attention of current followers and pulls in potential new ones.
VOIP is planned, but first we will test voice over Steam - maybe that will be enough.

Clan ranking would be easy to implement when we will have connected game with website administration and stats. I think I have to change my opinion and support that clan ranking.

For tournaments I think we need bigger community first. I am not sure if we will host such things. I rather motivate players by rewards for playing time as individual or as a whole clan.

Offline Machine Medic #17 on: November 25, 2016, 04:04:38 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
As far as the tournaments you mentioned Ckit, I've been toying with the idea of Contra hosting some kind of annual open in the future.  However, this is merely just an idea at this point...  I'm not sure if the other leaders would be in favor of such a thing, or whether a few people working day jobs could even manage such a large event.  It might be something that we would have to organize with the help of a special committee or our scrim team after we've had some good recruitment going for a good while.

Like Rotacak said, we all need bigger communities first before anything on that scale can be decided for sure.

We'd definitely like to try some more casual and fun seasonal events though, like annual granger races and holiday parties.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:16:07 PM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Prophet #18 on: November 25, 2016, 07:25:57 PM

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Definitely be thinking about the competitive side of things.  I'd love to see a legitimate esport grow around the game but it requires developer support.  It won't just crop up on its own.  It is not needed on release, better to focus on a quality product first.  But if the game should trend on steam, move quickly.

Offline Loki #19 on: November 25, 2016, 08:29:49 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Definitely be thinking about the competitive side of things.  I'd love to see a legitimate esport grow around the game but it requires developer support.  It won't just crop up on its own.  It is not needed on release, better to focus on a quality product first.  But if the game should trend on steam, move quickly.

Indeed, let's see how it turns out. But have something prepared in reserve, just in case :D

Offline Ckit #20 on: November 25, 2016, 11:13:33 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Thanks for you responses.

I agree that a sizeable player base should be instituted prior to setting up tournaments. Although, planning ahead with some ideas like MachineMedic mentioned is always nice to see.