Author Topic: "Earn Real Money"  (Read 17141 times)

Offline Lancer on: November 17, 2012, 04:21:39 PM

• Junior
  • Live by the day, 'cause there may be no tommorow.
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hello Tremulous fan's, lovers and players.

One thing that "bugs" me, is this sentence:

Create in-game objects and make
REAL MONEY!

Ofcourse, i know rotacak wants to gain some income with this game as it's not open-source and being developed with a AAA engine (UDK - Royalty's, Unity - Royalty's when you hit $100,000 mark, and others that i don't know).

So the thing is, how would this work?

Map creation?
Weapon/Alien creation?

But how will this system works, as nobody can just take his code, not like opensource, and make their own mods and/or adjustments.
As it will work with a client and a server, NOT opensource.

How will the team pay people for things that they can't access easily?

And what will rotacak do to secure a stable income?
Will he make weapons for a period of time like:

Buy this Super Rifle for:
  • $1 - 7 days
  • $1.5 - 14 days
  • $1.75 - 31 days

Or will it a one time payment?

Or will he rent away servers, premium packages (cosmetic).

For myself, i sure want to pay for a tremulous game, as long it doesn't give unfair advantages to wealthy people.

I don't want to pump €500 into a game, and still people are getting better bonuses because they've donated $1,500 into it.

Just some thoughts for now, discuss and i will add more questions to this list later on :)!

~Lancer/Reaper

Offline Iltavuo #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:28:30 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
My first impression was that it would be something similar to Team Fortress 2. There people create hats, weapons and other content, and Valve sometimes picks high quality items and sells them ( they aren't really better than what you can have for free, mostly cosmetic stuff ) and the artist gets a portion of the profit. Steam workshop has support for  this kind of things as far as I know, though I don't know if this game is headed that way. This was my speculation.

Offline Lancer #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:33:02 PM

• Junior
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My first impression was that it would be something similar to Team Fortress 2. There people create hats, weapons and other content, and Valve sometimes picks high quality items and sells them ( they aren't really better than what you can have for free, mostly cosmetic stuff ) and the artist gets a portion of the profit. Steam workshop has support for  this kind of things as far as I know, though I don't know if this game is headed that way. This was my speculation.

Thanks for adding your input into this Iltavuo.
If rotacak and his team would do something like this (pure cosmetic), then i would be okay with it.

Offline grmg.pl #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Whatever he does, he has right to because it HIS company that develops the game. Understand that, as much as Rota likes Trem, ultimately this is a business venture and making money is on par here with delivering good product. Welcome to the real world.

For myself, i sure want to pay for a tremulous game
F1.

as long it doesn't give unfair advantages to wealthy people.
Agreed. "Hey Cant_Aim_Noob, pay 20$ and you get this chaigun-lucifer cannon" -  mixing these people with "normal" players would be very unfair.

Perhaps if some kind of "premium stuff" will be implemented AND if it would be a "gameplay changing" stuff, it could be also acquired by having actual skill.

Offline Lancer #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:41 PM

• Junior
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Whatever he does, he has right to because it HIS company that develops the game. Understand that, as much as Rota likes Trem, ultimately this is a business venture and making money is on par here with delivering good product. Welcome to the real world.

For myself, i sure want to pay for a tremulous game
F1.

as long it doesn't give unfair advantages to wealthy people.
Agreed. "Hey Cant_Aim_Noob, pay 20$ and you get this chaigun-lucifer cannon" -  mixing these people with "normal" players would be very unfair.

Perhaps if some kind of "premium stuff" will be implemented AND if it would be a "gameplay changing" stuff, it could be also acquired by having actual skill.

^This

Idc if a "level or tier 1" player spend 20 bucks in it, when i'm a level 15 with the same weapons/ability's or whatever bought with that 20 dollars.

Or if i'm that level 1, and a level 15 guy bought all stuff.
Gives me more motivation to become better =].

Offline amz181 #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:18:54 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Going by what was said on the trem.net thread, I think it's more custom maps and such. So if i make a map, I could sell it for money. Nothing that will effect gameplay.

To be honest I think it's a bad idea. Perhaps things like TF2 hats could work, but asking people to pay for maps will just severely limit how many people will play your map, seeing as everyone would need to have bought the map for everyone to play.

Offline Rotacak #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:03 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
You will be able to create graphics, skins, maps etc. then upload it and set your own price for permanent ownership or time limited (it can be free). And anyone can buy/download it.

These items will be in two categories - official (from us or approved) and unofficial (from players). And server owners will choose what they will allow to have on server, because players can create crazy things, that are not suits game.

If you buy anything from these things, then it will not make you stronger and give it to you no advantages. I not counting blue skin for jettard on blu sky like advantage :)

Youd don't need open source game for this kinds of "mods".

Offline Lancer #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:38 PM

• Junior
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Going by what was said on the trem.net thread, I think it's more custom maps and such. So if i make a map, I could sell it for money. Nothing that will effect gameplay.

To be honest I think it's a bad idea. Perhaps things like TF2 hats could work, but asking people to pay for maps will just severely limit how many people will play your map, seeing as everyone would need to have bought the map for everyone to play.

But rotacak's team could make a deal with you, and put it into a premium 'DLC' package with alot more maps, and you get your share?

Would that be better?

Something like a monthly fee, and you get all those things extra, or whatever.

Offline Rotacak #8 on: November 17, 2012, 06:25:23 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
If you want to spread your map quickly, you still can release it for free.

Offline ViruS #9 on: November 18, 2012, 05:43:55 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
There are some problems with TF2's F2P style stuff:
-Every server [including mod servers] must have updated models, info etc. which occurs like... once every week? Bah.
-Every client " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "
-People with access to money get a fair advantage [i.e. bigger inventory]
-[Steam] You can't add people as friends, you can't do this, you cant do that blah blah until you pay at least a cent. I'd rather contribute to number of players and increase the game's popularity rather than pay money and make the devs rich.
Also, one of the main points that i do like about the F2P style TF has:
-If you can't spend money [like me and lots of other people, like half the population of TF] you still can "accidentally" earn new weapons and stuff.

Honestly, if this game involves constant updates, involves money to play some games and to rent/earn weapons, i'd rather stick with unv. with their modified gameplay.
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Jaroth #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:30:15 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
You will be able to create graphics, skins, maps etc. then upload it and set your own price for permanent ownership or time limited (it can be free). And anyone can buy/download it.

These items will be in two categories - official (from us or approved) and unofficial (from players). And server owners will choose what they will allow to have on server, because players can create crazy things, that are not suits game.

If you buy anything from these things, then it will not make you stronger and give it to you no advantages. I not counting blue skin for jettard on blu sky like advantage :)

Youd don't need open source game for this kinds of "mods".

The "Official" Items you are talking about, are we need to pay for them...?
Jaroth out

War, war never changes...

Offline Loki #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:02:38 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
So I have to buy the game and then I will be like premium user (no pirated version of game) but I will be killed by some noob with sniper rifle which he bought? (pay2win sux) Im sure many people will not buy this game if it will be such thing in this game. Tremulous 1.1, 1.2 only skills and luck decided who killed who. In this game, bought items :( saddens me. I know you need cash to pay your people, but as I wrote many people will decide whether to buy or not this game: if it's pay2win or just onetime-pay.

Pay2Win and buyable games are not modern, watch for example Guild Wars 2. If you keep both of them it won't be very good for market. But anyway it's your thing, I just want to help you.

Offline grmg.pl #12 on: November 18, 2012, 11:03:31 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Whatever payment model Rota decides upon, I really wish him a commercial success. A big one.

Offline Rotacak #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:41:21 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
-Every server [including mod servers] must have updated models, info etc. which occurs like... once every week? Bah.
-Every client " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "
It will be synchronized at beginning of every map. And you can turn off all these additional things on client, or on your server, if you don't like it.

pay money and make the devs rich.
You see only that we want to be rich. You don't see that we have to spend few milions CZK, work two years, then gather money back and then still pay for servers and another work due to updates etc. If you want everything free, then it will die like T1, because you simply cannot work for free forever.

-If you can't spend money [like me and lots of other people, like half the population of TF] you still can "accidentally" earn new weapons and stuff.
First of all, you don't need to spend any additional money in game. And you can earn all free items.

The "Official" Items you are talking about, are we need to pay for them...?
Some of them will be free, some no.

pay2win sux
There will not be pay2win. You cannot buy anything (for money) that make you stronger.

Offline (PL) cool boy #14 on: November 18, 2012, 05:10:56 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Soo.... if i want play i must pay for it?
i like tremulous....and grangers