Author Topic: Some questions to clarify about the future of Murnatan and its community  (Read 2911 times)

Offline ViruS on: November 17, 2016, 09:54:59 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
Some quick questions, some I've already asked before but wasn't satisfied with the reply a few years ago, maybe you might've changed your mind:

Will it be modd-able? (i.e. at least parts of the source code will be released to purchasers like how ns2 provides their source codes to those who own the game, rather than being only able to tweak cvars as you have mentioned on the forums 2 years ago, and allow the community to fix issues with the game such as the minigun orientation in the video sample)

What kind of license will the game and its assets be under? (e.g. VALVe's half life community mods are not allowed to be sold nor distribute independantly from half life [i.e. you require a legit copy of half life to run the mods], while tremulous being under the GPL license, is allowed to be distributed independantly of Quake 3 Arena)

Will we be able to create maps for it? (Is unreal's map editor completely compatible with the game? Can we port maps from the quake, spark or source engine into it?)

Can you strafe jump? (Unreal physics afiak uses air control, which makes it very difficult and a waste of effort to gain speed, and the last gif preview kind of shows the air control in action)

Will there be 'weapon models' for aliens? (seems like you might as well not bother about it considering that most aliens seem to bite as an attack)

What is your desired price? (10USD-20USD?)

And then finally, is it esports friendly?
-hitsounds confirmed somewhere else, birds eye tactical spectator view (like how ns2 has), multiview (being able to spectate multiple players simultaneously), removable first person gun models/hud, not-so-campy gameplay, and netcode that actually compensates for lag of the world movers (which almost every fps game in existance doesn't btw) etc.

also we need a FAQ section
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:22:01 AM by ViruS »
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Rotacak #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:40:49 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
1) Modding - source code will not be released, it is not even possible and usable because of UE4 workflow (connected with assets, blueprints and plugins). But we want to have moddable game. This will be solved after release and we need to find best and simplyest way how to achieve it. Ideally you should be able to for example replace whole alien to different alien, that would be best - but I do not expecting that someone will do that, it is lot of work.

2) Asset license - A note: assets from Tremulous are under CCSA. Personally I don't like these licenses, maybe I even little hate them. My idea is to distribute assets with own license which will allow you to copy, use, modify, sell, etc. Just you need to note that asset is taken from Murnatan and original is not made by you. That is all. This still will be discussed in our team and it will not be possible to use it on some assets (sounds for example), but this is license type that I like.

3) Creating maps - sure, creating maps will be possible. But UE4 is not compatible with anything, not even with UE3. So if you want to port any map then you have to completely recreate it in UE4 (or import it as a mesh etc.).

4) Strafe jump - we have done increasing speed by jumping, but nothing more. Maybe something is done by engine itself.

5) Weapon models for aliens - we had it in our plans but now - dunno yet. If yes then sometime later. It looks it will mainly just block player view and many of aliens attacking with mouth which is complicated.

6) Yes, desired price is around 10 - 20€.

7) Esport - these things could be added later, currently are there still core priorities, but yes, we would like to make it esport friendly.

Offline Machine Medic #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:26:05 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Quote from: Rotacak
desired price is around 10 - 20€.

Wow, I was expecting somewhere closer to 25-30.  I suppose 10-20 is fair and reasonable for an Early Access game.  That price could always be raised later once Murnatan has reached a polished state and is ready to leave Early Access.

Are there still plans to offer a Special Edition of sorts at launch?
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Rotacak #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:09:11 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are there still plans to offer a Special Edition of sorts at launch?
Special edition on launch no, but it is planned collectors edition when community will grow. After that we have planned special and really original package :)

Offline Oblivion #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:01:58 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
You know with me being a server host, I'm actually disappointed we won't be able to mod. As I ran the last trem server "Dretch*Tsunami" customized admin settings, personalized bot with stats, and also had the stats intergrated with my website. So I do look forward to a change at a later date hopefully.

Offline Loki #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:09:03 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
As it's already been pointed out, the engine is at fault here. It's no mere 'modding through text editor'.

Offline ViruS #6 on: November 19, 2016, 10:33:46 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Wow, I was expecting somewhere closer to 25-30.
That's still quite expensive for the quality that I see at the moment though I honestly think that you company deserves higher revenue.
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.

Offline Oblivion #7 on: November 19, 2016, 04:02:54 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
As it's already been pointed out, the engine is at fault here. It's no mere 'modding through text editor'.
Yeah I got that part. Real disappointing.

Offline ViruS #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:05:52 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards

Speaking of moddability...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcOKUD-I6Ww

I once made an acid gun. Does the game engine at least allow me to do this?

Also will Steam Workshop be a thing? (from what I understand, MTN will not be flexible enough for that)
Natural Selection 2's workshop basically means that if you already own the game, other than the game engine itself and the modding tools, it's basically like the game itself is open sourced (though legally it isn't) because all of the gamelogic code, the code that tells you how the assets are loaded, the AI code, the usage of bot AI paths, the server management etc. are all available in files. Like from what I know, it is possible to import the granger model from T2 into the spark engine.

What about going the other way around? If it's ocmpatible with the spark engine, what if I made a map in the spark engine and converted it over into UWE in forms of a "static map" (no doors etc... not like ns2 really uses map entities)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:09:58 PM by ViruS »

Offline Rotacak #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:28:01 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
ViruS: Yet, we did not investigated deeply what is possible in modding in unreal engine. They say it is easy, but it looks not so easy :) Anyway we will know more when we start working on this feature.

We would like to allow to make acid gun (change particle of flamer).

If you want to convert map from anything to UE then it is probably impossible. However should be possible to convert map into common 3D object and that object is possible import into UE. This way should be ok and I think that could be way how to convert map from Spark engine to UE. But why would you do that? Isn't better to make that map directly in UE?

Offline Machine Medic #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:22 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Virus has been recreating 1.1 maps for NS2.  NS2 runs on Spark engine.

Quote from: Rotacak
Isn't better to make that map directly in UE?

+1

Real engine has real features.   ::)
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=