Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Loki on: March 24, 2018, 11:25:51 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It has so much fking potential imo BUT here's a list of things I'd like to see fixed (I have this feeling it might be just in rewriting the numbers):

• INCREASE THE GRAVITY - they all look like they're levitating especially Mara/Narba and Puma's pounce
  • INCREASE THE SPEED of non-adv aliens - they are trash and get easily killed, Pitin is much more efficient especially in swarms
  • DECREASE THE SPEED of humans - they are Usain bolts all of'em
  • SNIPER ZOOM is not good at all, right now you have to hold the button which means it keeps magnifying, the moment you release the key it cancels the zoom
  • PLASMA RIFLE is a fps-drop fest,
  • Can't click Options in the menu
  • Custom settings (accessible only via in-game menu unfortunately) cause a crash except for Resolution rendering
  • Anti-aliasing pls - lemme try reshade
  • Gamma slider

other than that i really like it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:33:07 PM by Loki »

Offline Rex #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:08:47 PM

• Never shuts up
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ooh, a first impressions thread. Here we go:

The core gameplay feels like Trem, which is a big plus. Building is straightforward and the little info panel on the CKit is a nice touch.
The maps currently in rotation are okay but a little flat. I'd love to see some maps based on the default Trem ones (with a little artistic flare or imagery that hints at a plot).
Pitin and Blaster are actually quite powerful, which I'm not sure if I like but it's definitely interesting! :D
The main downside I find are the crashes that happen when I buy stuff from the Armoury.

The main menu music is ultra chill. It's incredible.

Suggestions:
  • Add longer descriptions to some of the buildings.
  • Add a delay to the voice taunts to keep them from being spammed/overlapping.
  • Fix the bug where the Armoury screen stays over the GUI (so far I can only solve it by exiting and going back into the game).
  • As mentioned above, increase the gravity. Narbatucker doesn't feel very fast at all.

It's still more polished than most games that make it to early access!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:32:37 PM by Rex »

Offline ViruS #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:21:09 PM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
I like it so far, reminiscient of R Funko CZ although as expected still plays quite differently due to the UE engine.
I streamed a bit of the gameplay too.

Gameplay:

I tihnk the gravity and speed is sort of fine for now although the physics are rather unsatisfactory at times due to the way UE's air physics work. For example, jumping over the turret is like... well that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MhAF47JodU

Human's sprint ability feels so fast relative to its regular running pace. I assume that rotacak knows the balance values that tremulous had since he did make the funko mod afterall so I won't talk about that here.

Air acceleration should be increased.

Jetpack physics are also rather linear, you don't feel and acceleration. It also tends to stic kto he ground if you try to move and liftoff simultaneously, to get off the ground it seems you need to let go of movement keys and only use the jump key.

Wallwalk rotating animation is very slow and also has trouble working around rocks where client-server mismatches often happen resulting in quite a lot of warping at times.

Taunt key can be spammed, not a high priority issue but it can get annoying if you get 5 players to simultaneously spam their taunt and sniff keys. This was also an issue in tremulous although in tremulous you kinda had to jump for taunt to replay.

In the Boxfield map: The ledge in the human's base needs to be made more accessible. Coupled with UE's air physics, its very difficult for humans to get up there without building brick support structures to step onto.

Humans shouldn't have to take damage through the forcefield, you can try KoRx's approach where a player presses Q on it to momntarily disable it

Graphics settings needs more options rather than the poor presets. Reduction of resolution scale is NOT something that people like to have unless absolutely necessarily, and yet they have that on low settings as well (not just the lowest). Bloom and that stuff could also be disabled on low settings. Turrets are also kinda dark, and are actually harder to see than acid tubes quite strangely enough.

Armoury crashes and softlocks often happen if you try to spam to buy a weapon. If you use the ESC key the buy/evolve menu also tends to not close sometimes, sometimes soft-locking your cursor and ability to aim, sometimes not but nevertheless the menu cannot be closed and sticks for the remainder of the game until map change, which can be annoying.

Also, there's no latency compensation for projectiles. It's a bad thing for a modern videogame but if you're intending for a 1:1 replica of 1.1 gameplay than that is not an issue, but it also means that it can be difficult to play as humans. Example of lack of projectile nudge in 1.1 gameplay (pulse rifle. It looks different because I'm using the 1.3 client)

Because turrets aren't latency compensated, the fact that if you stand on them causes you to rotate causes a lot of lagging problems with aiming for people of any latency so I highly don't recommend keeping that function if possible for structures specifically. Remember that "anything that changes the physics state of a player's avatar that cannot be client predicted should be avoided if it isn't essential to the gameplay" (example: knockback from the lasgun in Tremulous can be a pain in the butt for marauders with >200 ping)
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline Machine Medic #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:56:48 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
First things within 30 minutes:

- The keybind system needs a couple of tweaks.
   - Escape menu needs to be permanently bound to the Escape key
   - New binds need to have the ability to overwrite existing binds... otherwise changing binds is like playing the game 'Rush Hour'.

- The Escape key needs to be a universal method of exiting out of GUI elements (Bind menu, chat menu, armory menu, etc, etc.) and using it needs to not result in 'stuck' menu screens as with the armory.

- The game needs to be capable of raw mouse input.  I.e. zero mouse input latency. 

- Some part of the render pipeline or other game system seems to be bottlenecking performance.  Framerates (on a strong machine) do not seem to be dependant at all on graphical settings.  Some maps achieve a relatively smooth 60 fps, while others (boxfield) alternate between smooth 60 and terribly stuttery 20-40.  I haven't been able to get above 60~63 fps.

More to come once I figure out how to re-bind the escape menu to the escape key...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:58:58 PM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Loki #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:21:18 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
- The game needs to be capable of raw mouse input.  I.e. zero mouse input latency. 

THIS SO MUCH. GOD DAMN.

Offline Machine Medic #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:09:24 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Erhm... every time I die... I crash.

I uh... I think that's a bug.

>.>
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:11:18 PM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

Offline Nomad #6 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:39 PM

• Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Erhm... every time I die... I crash.

I uh... I think that's a bug.

>.>

Or when you buy a weapon while holding a ckit. Fix the crashes, the ui bugs and the game will be fully playable. Oh and adjust gravity, it takes ages to land on the ground.

Offline ViruS #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:24 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
I also need a sensitivity value of 0.0149... but that's not a valid setting :>>

so I had to halve my sensitivity and then use 0.03 to get an approximate equivalent to my quake engine/tremulous settings.

For now my streams (which you may use to find traits in regards to crashing, like dying) can be viewed through this playlist once I enable them publically: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9tEME2A6Ibg4TmikpYlQkjgKHZIDaeZ

Also for fun with discord:

AussieAssault:

Apheriox (Natural Selection 2 server group/community that has their own mod server, something like the current GrangerHub/DerBunker, or the past R xyz CZ community):

Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.

Offline Loki #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:45:02 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
For now my streams (which you may use to find traits in regards to crashing, like dying) can be viewed through this playlist once I enable them publically: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9tEME2A6Ibg4TmikpYlQkjgKHZIDaeZ

Damn son that bitrate :DD

Offline ViruS #9 on: March 24, 2018, 07:24:37 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards

Damn son that bitrate :DD
I'm Australian. I actually live in one of the fastest internet suburbs for my entire state.

Offline Machine Medic #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:08 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Here's what I'm getting from this initial release:

1. - Stability. There are some major problems with crashing.
2. - UI and UI glitches. Needs some kinks ironed out.
3. - Performance. Needs optimization badly.

Other than that, it's a fun game. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:36:38 PM by Machine Medic »

Offline Rotacak #11 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:15 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It has so much fking potential imo BUT here's a list of things I'd like to see fixed (I have this feeling it might be just in rewriting the numbers):

• INCREASE THE GRAVITY - they all look like they're levitating especially Mara/Narba and Puma's pounce
  • INCREASE THE SPEED of non-adv aliens - they are trash and get easily killed, Pitin is much more efficient especially in swarms
  • DECREASE THE SPEED of humans - they are Usain bolts all of'em
  • SNIPER ZOOM is not good at all, right now you have to hold the button which means it keeps magnifying, the moment you release the key it cancels the zoom
  • PLASMA RIFLE is a fps-drop fest,
  • Can't click Options in the menu
  • Custom settings (accessible only via in-game menu unfortunately) cause a crash except for Resolution rendering
  • Anti-aliasing pls - lemme try reshade
  • Gamma slider

other than that i really like it!

I think that changing gravity can break things. Maybe I can look only at specific aliens if it is possible.

Speed - that is very hard thing. Current speeds are atlest little balanced. If aliens will be faster, then nobody will catch them. Also you can use continuous jump-acceleration. Human speed is big, but again - if will be lower then humans will never run away from any alien. These speeds probably needs to be tunned, but carefully.

Sniper - that is ok, isn't? Only zoom speed should be way faster.

Options - not implemented.

Custom settings - I will check it.

Offline Rotacak #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:11:05 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ooh, a first impressions thread. Here we go:

The core gameplay feels like Trem, which is a big plus. Building is straightforward and the little info panel on the CKit is a nice touch.
The maps currently in rotation are okay but a little flat. I'd love to see some maps based on the default Trem ones (with a little artistic flare or imagery that hints at a plot).
Pitin and Blaster are actually quite powerful, which I'm not sure if I like but it's definitely interesting! :D
The main downside I find are the crashes that happen when I buy stuff from the Armoury.

The main menu music is ultra chill. It's incredible.

Suggestions:
  • Add longer descriptions to some of the buildings.
  • Add a delay to the voice taunts to keep them from being spammed/overlapping.
  • Fix the bug where the Armoury screen stays over the GUI (so far I can only solve it by exiting and going back into the game).
  • As mentioned above, increase the gravity. Narbatucker doesn't feel very fast at all.

It's still more polished than most games that make it to early access!

That delay to taunts could be complicated because every taunt have different timing. It can be spammed but I am not sure if it is so bad. It should solve mute vote.

Armoury bug is really annoying together with crashes.

Offline Loki #13 on: March 24, 2018, 08:13:26 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think that changing gravity can break things. Maybe I can look only at specific aliens if it is possible.

Speed - that is very hard thing. Current speeds are atlest little balanced. If aliens will be faster, then nobody will catch them. Also you can use continuous jump-acceleration. Human speed is big, but again - if will be lower then humans will never run away from any alien. These speeds probably needs to be tunned, but carefully.

Sniper - that is ok, isn't? Only zoom speed should be way faster.

Options - not implemented.

Custom settings - I will check it.

well if changing the gravity is bad then try it at least/only for Narbatucker and the Pum as those are very important

speaking of speed - it's just the Basic variant of goon (and narba kinda too) looks like he is walking through Russian spring mud to get to you :D :D  the adv versions are fast enough

sniper - oh so it was supposed to be like that - yes, increasing the zoom speed by several times will definitely make sniper rifle much more usable, it'd be nice

well about the customization i gotta ask few others if they do have that problem as well, might be just me, somehow

Offline Rotacak #14 on: March 24, 2018, 08:36:56 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
2. - UI and UI glitches. Needs some kinks ironed out.

Yea, I think these and crashes are most important to solve. I finally can replicate that UI bug so first step for fix is done.