Author Topic: Linux Support  (Read 22187 times)

Offline gareth #15 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:20 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
most of what you have just said is completely irrelevant to your point,

How technology advancement works:
In the case of PC's / desktop computers (whatever you wish to call them), the research into optimising and increasing performance is done non commercially, e.g privately run/sponsored projects (the supercomputers). the cutting edge of commercial technology today would have been considered a supercomputer a few years back, so we can ,for now, that in a couple of years time, the supercomputers today, will be the standard PC. The page you quoted had a section on the supercomputers around today that said that the software uses on them are 92.4% linux. Now what happens in 2 years time when this hardware (designed and optimised for linux use) comes into commercial use? It is likely to be sold with linux NOT MS windows or whatever equivalent they will have. That is the point i was making.

85% of the world? wake up. everyone i have ever talked to or known knows the definition of PC.

The world runs on windows??? HA. The people who USE computers to do real tasks are much more likely to use linux as it is much more useful for those who CAN use a computer. The people who use MS windows are those who do their on-line shopping and play video games. The world does NOT run on these activities. The world runs on the people who push for new better technology's, and MS windows does not do this.

the only advantage MS windows has is video gaming, Linux is faster, easier to use, FREE, and now that steam are supporting it, it will also match windows in video gaming. That is why linux is outright better that windows.

MS have taken software pretty much as far as it can go with a company designing/writing it. There is not much more they can do, so the open source platforms will overtake them as they can provide SO much more to the consumer.

wtf do you think you are talking about, only computer literate people can use linux? have you even seen it? Fedora (one example) the GUI is no different to MS windows XP, Fedora is easier to use than MS windows and when there is a problem, The open source community fixes it, unlike microsoft who don't care about their customers. Your point is just proving your lack of knowledge about different software platforms.

what on earth are you on about with doomsday preppers? how is that at all relevant. when making a bit of software, you have to make it compatable with whatever software will be around when it is released not when its being developed.

sorry, the people who "have a life" spend it playing video games? ummmmm no. people who "have a life" do useful things with it.

It doesn't make any difference how much money the companies have, what matters is what they can offer the consumer. A company can never get close to providing the service and quality that open source does. If they offer the consumer to pay for their software that is inferior to something the consumer can get for free, why will the consumer use their software? so when the consumer stops buying the companies software, it makes no difference how much money the company has.

A significant portion of the audience barely has enough money for a decent computer.     umm what does this even mean? If they don't have money for a decent PC how are they going to afford MS windows as well as your game? might want to start thinking your arguments through more thoroughly...

like it or not, if you ever want to get anywhere with computers you have to be able to understand what is a very likely outcome in the future, and know your way around different bits of software. 

Offline Machine Medic #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:33:33 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Well, T2 is not releasing for Linux.  Buy it or don't, not much is going to change that fact.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down to.
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Loki #17 on: December 23, 2012, 11:29:37 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Well Windows got something what Linux doesn't, the magic word's called compatibility. That's the biggest problem of this OS.

Offline gareth #18 on: December 24, 2012, 12:18:53 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
umm, windows only has compatibility with some software types because humans in general fear change, even if its for the best. Linux is much easier to write for, and much easier to use to write the code. All the editors and compilers ext (everything you need to code) come pre installed for free, whereas in windows you have to pay for them?? It is these coders that are to afraid of change that are keeping windows alive and more compatible with their software than linux. The majority of useful software (i mean proper useful not video games ext) are linux compatible anyway. Most big technology research centres use linux because of its compatibility with he programs THEY need for doing USEFUL things.

i would hope the developers of trem2 would not have been so paranoid of this change and helped technology advance in this area but it seems that they are intent on clinging to inferior operating systems like windows.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:20:54 AM by gareth »

Offline Gunther #19 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:35 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
You have to go with the crowd. Ol' Bully Boy Gates built his empire out of cheep computers that made spreadsheets and word docs. CHEEP was the word on everyone's mind. Still kind of is.

Point being: Since Windows and Mac are commercial, they are regulated. Kept under control. Linux is a highly customizable platform, with distro after distro of stuff. Game companies can't make different games or engines for everybody. Heck, they don't even know whether or not your version of Linux has a GUI. At the very least, they'd make people have to switch over to something like Ubuntu, which some people might not want to do, and then they say exactly what gareth is saying.
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline gareth #20 on: December 24, 2012, 01:17:20 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
yes cheap half describes MS windows well, u pay a shitload of money, and get a cheap tacky piece of rubbish for your money. gunther, yes there are more than 1 distro, but games would only need to be compatible with one, like fedora for example. Anyone can use fedora, it is a perfect replacement for MS windows. HA linux is much more controlled than windows/MAC. windows or mac have so much malware its unbelievable that they are still usable. Linux is controlled, as the user can do anything he/she wants including doing nothing and it will work fine. any computer litterate person can do whatever he wants with linux, but forget doing anything in windows/MAC. I dont know what peoples problem is with linux, but these coders that are so against the future are really holding technology back.

cheap, u wanna pay for crummy software. gunther, you get linux for free!

the problem is companies like microsoft and apple don't care about their customers, and sooner or later people will realise open source software like linux has so much more to offer them for so much less.

Offline Machine Medic #21 on: December 24, 2012, 05:36:48 AM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
i would hope the developers of trem2 would not have been so paranoid of this change and helped technology advance in this area but it seems that they are intent on clinging to inferior operating systems like windows.

Now that's getting into troll territory. 

Everyone designs games for Windows, because 90% of the adult population doesn't even know what Linux is, much less give two and a half shits about it.

They bought their computers, and they're not changing until their systems can't handle it anymore.  Then they will go out and buy the easiest, most stable, and most supported device to use for their needs.  Normally, this means Mac or Windows.

Linux is a specialty OS.  Good for programming.  Windows and Mac are good for literally everything else.

If you own a Linux machine, there's a chance you also own a copy of Windows somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:39:32 AM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

Offline Loki #22 on: December 24, 2012, 09:22:51 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
umm, windows only has compatibility with some software types

Windows is compatible because it uses most popular and most used extensions.

because humans in general fear change,

Also that's general why Windows is so compatible. If you don't fear the change, you can freely try to do stuffs only on Linux as many people are doing right now. Linux is lovely great badass OS but .exe incompatible which means for developers "k thnx bai". The first step to massive gaming on Linux made Valve by making Steam compatible for Linux and that's great. Gabe Newell also said that Linux is going to be the future. Well why not? The only thing we need, is many companies which are headed for extensions like tar tar.gz and not rar neither zip, and conf  instead of Windows's cfg.
______________________________________________________________________________________
What am I saying is that, you have true but you can't criticize Rotacak for something he can't help with. Wait for more Linux people and you'll have maybe Trem2 on Linux.
Also community is very demandful and since it will be mostly some kids who are "skilled" with Windows by clicking on executable files without using cmd, they will find Linux too harsh on their smooth brain.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:24:56 AM by Loki »

Offline ViruS #23 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:06 AM

• View Profile
    • ZdrytchX's reference website, the tremulous-related link heaven.
    • Awards
This means twice as much coding, twice as much testing and patching, and twice as much effort to release an update, however.
Tremulous is built on linux. Compatable with macintosh [unofficially] and windows.
Why not have a linux version?
by then the statistics could even be reversed

Doubtful.  The world runs on Windows, that fact is not likely to change, unless Linux develops a better operating system than Windows for your average computer illiterate.

windows is a dying piece of software

[1]Cite your sources.
it seems stupid that by the time the game is released, a significant proportion of the audience could have to dual boot their PC's or use WINE...

[2]A significant portion of the audience barely has enough money for a decent computer.

if you are going to charge for this game you have to provide proper support.

[3]AAA-Games will provide support... for Windows 7 or better.
[1]It's true whether you like it or not. A year ago we had double the player count.

[2]True. I use a computer which barely handles games like TF2 and Xonotic. But still, i can use vmware + ubuntu 10.1 without problems for tremulous 1.1 modding.
[3]WHAAAA? Tell me this is false. Tell me  it would support, at least, xp.
Quote from: lamefun
Therefore, Tremulous 2 might have the future (or might not, since it isn't developed by a corporations, depends on what Global Government will decide), but Unvarnished doesn't.
Quote from: Khaoz
Sucks to be those Unvarnished guys.

Offline gareth #24 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:22 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
windows only has the most used extensions, because these code writers are still writing for it. Yes that is the only problem with Linux, is peoples lack of knowledge of its existence, but those who do know of it, are likely to use it. When Linux starts to raise awareness, people are likely to start using it very quickly, and before you know it you could have 90% of PC users could have a version of Linux installed on their machine as well.

"Windows and Mac are good for literally everything else"
-compatibility with modern day low grade PC software,
-video gaming

That is all windows has over Linux whereas Linux has
-compatibility with advanced software,
-security,
-ease of use
-customisability
-innovation
-no costs
-proper user support
-reliability

if you have Linux, the only place you are likely to have a copy of windows, is in the trash ;)

Offline grmg.pl #25 on: December 24, 2012, 03:22:38 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
most of what you have just said is completely irrelevant to your point,
2012 award for logic.

92.4% linux
Source?

Server OS and like is linux indeed, but you dont instal server OS on home computers. 70% of home computers ar taken by windows, the number might oscillate but Win will remain the majority of OS for the next years. Think 10+ years.

The people who USE computers to do real tasks are much more likely to use linux as it is much more useful for those who CAN use a computer.
But they don't since most software is designed for Windows.

the only advantage MS windows has is video gaming
Software.

Linux is faster
It's not.

easier to use
For a total idiot both systems have the same level of "usability".

it will also match windows in video gaming
It won't. Nobody cares for 1,64% of people, for developing 2 different engines is financially stupid. After the sales are closed linux version would be funded by the windows version.

as they can provide SO much more to the consumer
Sure. Give an example.

the GUI is no different to MS windows XP
AFAIK the win-like GUI was first, than moved to linux.

The open source community fixes it, unlike microsoft who don't care about their customers
Uninformed nab. Ever heard about windows auto update? Service packs?

just proving your lack of knowledge about different software platforms
Lol, who's talking :D

A company can never get close to providing the service and quality that open source does
Well ok, then why there is over 35 times more have-to-buy-windows-run computers than FREE linux ones?
If win would be shit, nobody would buy it.

might want to start thinking your arguments through more thoroughly...
Start using your own advice.

The majority of useful software
Name it.

u pay a shitload of money
Not really a shitload.

litterate person
Your cat is a litterate person.

really holding technology back
OS has nothing to do with hardware development.

the problem is companies like microsoft and apple don't care about their customers
Give some MS or Apple examples.

reliability
I use Win XP SP3. I haven't reinstalled, formatted, defragmented this installation for last 3 years. It runs smoothly and has hang up ONCE (Unique Phoenixs' Trem mod). Is that reliable enough?

If the linux is so amazing, do a partition resize, install windows and you can play T2.

Offline Machine Medic #26 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:22 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tremulous is built on linux.

Tremulous 2 is built on UE3 -incompatible with Linux, Virus.

A company can never get close to providing the service and quality that open source does

Yeah, we've only waited the better part of four years, only to find out 1.2 is never scheduled to release. 

Look how awesome and high quality Unvanquished turned out.  It was a total disappointment that last time I checked, 15 people played daily.

Financial gain is the driving force of commerce.  Open source has no central drive behind it, besides the whimsical fun-having of the people that like to code.  Personally, I think T2 being undertaken as a commercial project is the greatest landmark in Trem history.  It means the devs must make it good, must make it popular, and must make us like it.  Open source projects like 1.1 and Linux are just a bunch of geeks collaborating across wires to have fun, when you make that argument.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:46:20 PM by Machine Medic »

Offline gareth #27 on: December 24, 2012, 05:20:14 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards

seriously, you are comparing video games to operating systems? go back to school.

grmg, try reading what i said again, the source was provided by you...

USEFUL software (not video games)...

Microsoft's software is hugely inferior to Linux...

most useless software is designed for MS windows (aka video games and ammeter coding environments), most big companies/projects that are pushing the boundaries of modern technology use linux (the hadron collider for one example)

Linux performs better on average than windows for the same hardware in gaming...

once again i am looking at whats happening in the future, not whats happening now, you need to get your tenses sorted.

i have already said what more they can provide, go and read it,

HA windows update is a joke, you can update linux almost as often as you want, and not at all if you wish. Updates are fast and effective in Linux, and problems are fixed Quickly unlike the few  months you could spend waiting with MS windows,

Of course software is integrated in hardware development!

Don't care about their customers- lack of fast software fixes, lack of competitive prices, lack of general care for the consumer

2 different engines financially stupid? umm they have one for windows and MAC (thats 2),

win is shit, just most people don't know there's a better alternative,

useful software, everything that is in Linux, code development environments, CNC controllers, everything that "makes the world run"

like i said, i would never put such insecure software anywhere near my PC,

MS windows costs infinitely more than Linux,

And you've been using the same software for 3 years? come out of your cave and see the new world...

Offline Gunther #28 on: December 24, 2012, 05:39:47 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
How much more does this need to be discussed?
Linux is better than Windows, good.
But all the noobs are on Windows and all the money is on Mac.
Linux has people who get stuff done and get it done for free instead of playing games, which does not help people wanting to make money.

Besides, the engine isn't avalible for Linux anyway.    (Which was mentioned earlier)
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline Machine Medic #29 on: December 24, 2012, 08:05:27 PM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I agree, this is venturing closer and closer to troll territory at this point.

ammeter coding environments

I use analog gagues, anyways.  Digital gauges can kiss my A$$.  If you truly need a digital voltage reference, you can build a better one one with a current shunt and a zener diode.  You can also build an RCtimer circuit if you're using a microcontroller... that's how most digital gauges work, anyways.

If I truly need an accurate measurement, I'll break out my 70's Tektronix scope.

Linux performs better on average than windows for the same hardware in gaming...

With Linux, hardware is irrelevant.  Nobody makes Linux games.  The fact that Valve is porting a Linux client doesn't change anything.  Steam has very few Mac games available, and if Linux is as close to Mac as you claim, the two will have about the same number of games available for them in the end (this is exempting exclusively Valve releases, of course).

Microsoft's software is hugely inferior to Linux...

That's bordering on arrogance.  All software has pros and cons, some software is better for certain applications than others.  No piece of software is 'inferior' to another.  Linux is more efficient with programming and resource development than Windows.  But that's not to say it can universally defeat Windows when it comes to compatibility and user friendliness.

useful software, everything that is in Linux, code development environments, CNC controllers, everything that "makes the world run"

Most FPGAs, Microcontrollers, and stepper controllers I've ever dealt with are programmed in Verilog, VHDL, BASIC variants, and Ladder-Logic.  The only Linux programming language I've ever encountered is 'G'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

And you've been using the same software for 3 years? come out of your cave and see the new world...

When it comes to technology, age is irrelevant... only performance and reliability. 

Railroads use the same diesel engines today that they bought in 1955.

Electric cars use technology that was invented by GM in 1912.

The US early warning radar system was developed in the 50's.  Bug fixes and new computers have been installed, but it still uses the exact same principle today.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:12:41 PM by Machine Medic »