Author Topic: Linux Support  (Read 22190 times)

Offline grmg.pl #60 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:52 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Problem?
You are a troll, idiot and should be interned somewhere near south pole without access to the internet for being a stupid nab :D

1. It's not an open source game, you changed the subject here from "open-source-Mozilla" to "kickstarter-game-on-linux".
2. Rather un-generic exaple, yougnab. Having played (and finished) Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and 3 multiple times, the name "Brian Fargo"  automatically has "War. War never changes" added to in.

Offline Loki #61 on: December 28, 2012, 10:40:59 PM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Problem?
You are a troll, idiot and should be interned somewhere near south pole without access to the internet for being a stupid nab :D

1. It's not an open source game, you changed the subject here from "open-source-Mozilla" to "kickstarter-game-on-linux".
2. Rather un-generic exaple, yougnab. Having played (and finished) Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and 3 multiple times, the name "Brian Fargo"  automatically has "War. War never changes" added to in.

Piss off will ya polak? You're very annoying with your "oh you're wrong"-like annoying messages and you keep thinking "im so smart i tried everything" but you use only facts and theories so FUCK OFF, you can equal with lancer stupid idiot. report me but you'll get banned as soon as me...

Offline grmg.pl #62 on: December 28, 2012, 10:56:06 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
"im so smart i tried everything"
The truth is - I am somewhat smart and I've tried  many things.

but you use only facts and theories
Lol? :D

Anyway, thats all you got KID? :D

Offline EpicalDude #63 on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:49 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Problem?

This game gets 3 millions before hand, so it can as well be open sourced.
If you want even more moneys then you can have it as open-source but NOT FREE, then the people who respect imaginary property rights will pay for it anyway, and the ones that do not will pirate it anyway.

So name any reason why such a game should make less money while being non-free open-source. There isn't any.

Or, you can go full open-source total-free and then this aspect might give you more kickstart backers love while not loosing much.

Trem can be cool in other ways, e.g. being maybe first so big FPS game that is 100% open-source,
or just the fact that this is trem.

Look now this is a complex subject, but for sure open-source can make money of which many closed-source studios dream.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:44:04 PM by EpicalDude »
http://forum.tremulous2.com/index.php?topic=48.msg596#msg596
Gunther (junior admin) : "break the forums"
Challenge accepted :8 (I won)

Offline grmg.pl #64 on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:18 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Notice that we're back from kickstarter-game-on-linux to open-source-game.

what your point is here
My point is: you chose an example that is very unique, because the game you mentioned is being done by a very "famous" dude. He made The Fallout series. You want to do a more realistic comparison - start a kickstarter for open-source-free-Tremulous3 yourself and then report how much money you got.

This game gets 3 millions before hand, so it can as well be open sourced
It  could be open sourced without raising 3mil. Even more - 3 mil. do not guarantee a success. Brian Fargo being the developer does.

then the people who respect imaginary property rights will pay for it anyway, and the ones that do not will pirate it anyway.
True.

So name any reason why such a game should make less money while being non-free open-source. There isn't any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_video_game

So far none open sourced game, free or not free, had as big success as non-open sourced.

Further discussion with you is a waste of time. You have your opinion I have mine, I don't feel the need to be right.

Nab :D

Offline EpicalDude #65 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:08 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards

> Notice that we're back from kickstarter-game-on-linux to open-source-game.

Yeah, on both ideas I presented how it is possible. Not trivial. But possible.
Is it harder then with closed source? One (Rota?) should check the market.

I did some pools few times, even today, on RCZ UBP server:

Do you play trem on non-windows computer
Yes:11 No:9

Linux might be 1% of desktop users (and 50% of smartphones ;)
but is 40-60% of Tremulous Players.
This might be important.
Trem players = thousands that played trem few times, not the 40 that are online daily.

Offline Machine Medic #66 on: December 29, 2012, 01:20:08 AM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Nigger, please. Really :)

Showing your racist side won't get you an open-source Linux version of Tremulous 2 not built on UE3 that you got for free.

That's called 1.1.

At this stage it should be trivial to have same model used in other engine.

You've never touched 3D modelling software in your life.

It's the reason why even amateur kids exported models between Q1,Q2,Q3, Doom and so on, changing engines.

Show.  Me.

Open source mozilla/firefox gets millions, e.g. 56,000,000 $ in year 2006 from Google (biggest sponsor) alone.

Mozilla Firefox is one of the most popular internet browers in the world.  There are a total of less than or equal to 50,000 people on earth that have heard of, much less remotely like Tremulous 1.1/1.2.  There are about 35~115 unique players per day in total across all 1.1 and 1.2 servers right now.  Tell me how Google is going to sponsor a startup Indie game developer nobody's heard of, that's not even based in the same country as them no matter how good they may be.

Linux Android is most popular operating system on smartphones and is even better founded for sure :)

Android is a closed-source project built on the Linux infrastructure.  Quit pulling shit out of your ass.

And Nokia didn't considered Linux a good OS for phone after 2010 and they chosen loldows 8 phone.
Btw this decision seems to be main reason why nokia circles the drain next to Blackberry/RMI.

Linux mobile (as openmoko) was not a success but just 2 years later Android sure is.

Aside from the fact that T2 is not a mobile operating system...

Android is a private, closed-source project based on the Linux infrastructure.

Maybe it will happen to world of gaming too, maybe not, but you can not use this logic of yours to say it will definitely not happen.

Y2k didn't happen.  2012 didn't happen.  1.2 didn't happen, either.  A small group of people said they all would happen.  Are you going to be part of a small group of people that says T2 will be released based on a free engine as a free open-source project?

Wasteland 2 is an upcoming post-apocalyptic role-playing video game and is under development by inXile Entertainment and Obsidian Entertainment

Tremulous 2 is an experimental FPS-RTS PC game, and is under development by a company absolutely nobody knows.

you can have it as open-source but NOT FREE, then the people who respect imaginary property rights will pay for it anyway, and the ones that do not will pirate it

Which is why open-source is not a good idea for a tiny little company like AAA, which only has a tiny little community - all of which is intellectually capable of locating an illegal copy of the game for free, provided it is released in open source.

Closed-sourcing on Steam makes this totally impossible with very little effort from the devs.

Or, you can go full open-source total-free and then this aspect might give you more kickstart backers love while not loosing much.

Again, nobody out there knows what Tremulous is.  The Trem community itself is a small group of far less than 10,000 people.

but for sure open-source can make money of which many closed-source studios dream.

Keep dreaming.

Closed-source companies like Arenanet, Blizzard, and Valve make $3M look like pocket change.

Linux might be 1% of desktop users (and 50% of smartphones ;)
but is 40-60% of Tremulous Players.

Again, there are less than 50,000 people in the world that have even heard of, and remember Tremulous.

50% of nothing is still nothing.

"Figures never lie.  But liars sure can figure."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:30:17 AM by Machine Medic »
2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline EpicalDude #67 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:13 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
(blargh, dont have time to reformat quotations.. will fix later)

Nigger, please. Really :)
Showing your racist side won't get you an open-source Linux version of Tremulous 2 not built on UE3 that you got for free.

Irrelevant to the topic, my nigga.

At this stage it should be trivial to have same model used in other engine.
You've never touched 3D modelling software in your life.

Urmom is so fat, that even she knows ad-personal attacks are idiotic.

Try again if you have any arguments or do not spam posts without any merit :)

It's the reason why even amateur kids exported models between Q1,Q2,Q3, Doom and so on, changing engines.
Show.  Me.

Converting md2 <-> md3 formats are so easy to find, just fucking google it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7613312_convert-md3-md2.html

When you have blender 3d studio max / maya or what ever they use "source" file they can export to many formats. You can just fucking google it as well and even read tutorials if you think that is not possible.

Open source mozilla/firefox gets millions, e.g. 56,000,000 $ in year 2006 from Google (biggest sponsor) alone.

Mozilla Firefox is one of the most popular internet browers in the world. 

And we do not need 50 million USD, hit games cost 0.5-5 often afair (just google yourself few reviews from game magazines).

Tell me how Google is going to sponsor a startup Indie game developer nobody's heard of,

Not saying it must be google. Someone said it is impossible for open source to get serious founding so I shown you how mistaken you where on this point, based on the facts I linked above.

Linux Android is most popular operating system on smartphones and is even better founded for sure :)

Android is a closed-source project built on the Linux infrastructure.  Quit pulling shit out of your ass.

Android is a private, closed-source project based on the Linux infrastructure.

LOL.
Could you at least check first page on Wikipedia before spreading missinformation?
Android is open source:
look -  here you can download the source code of Android mobile operating system/platform:
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html :)

And Nokia didn't considered Linux a good OS for phone after 2010 and they chosen loldows 8 phone.
Btw this decision seems to be main reason why nokia circles the drain next to Blackberry/RMI.

Linux mobile (as openmoko) was not a success but just 2 years later Android sure is.

Maybe it will happen to world of gaming too, maybe not, but you can not use this logic of yours to say it will definitely not happen.

Y2k didn't happen.  2012 didn't happen.  1.2 didn't happen, either.  A small group of people said they all would happen.  Are you going to be part of a small group of people that says T2 will be released based on a free engine as a free open-source project?

Here I shown you and other forum readers how open source can be very commercially successful both if non-free, as well as when done completely free (in pricing terms).

How will T2 go will be decided by Rota but hopefully he can consider ideas here too.

Which is why open-source is not a good idea for a tiny little company like AAA, which only has a tiny little community - all of which is intellectually capable of locating an illegal copy of the game for free, provided it is released in open source.

And if they do not pay then they will not get the game.
The beauty of crowdfunding in advance :)
Crowd sourcing ("kickstarter") used as in pay all in advance, then for free - is the perfect anti piracy really.
No one can break it. If people do not pay as much as Rota needs, then no one gets the game and Rota does not risk working while being unsure about income size in next years.

but for sure open-source can make money of which many closed-source studios dream.
Keep dreaming.

No need, above and in prev post here I given example of $ 2,900,000 for founded in advance FPS game, and over 58,000,000 for open-source project. This did happened already.

I'm not saying this will be easy or will happen with T2 too but I see lots of potential in such a move with not so much downside if you calculate carefully (or, someone who can actually google stuff instead saying stupid shit like that Andorid is not open-source, but maybe you can get a hold of yourself and join real discussion still too.)

Closed-source companies like Arenanet, Blizzard, and Valve make $3M look like pocket change.

Yes. And I do not think T2 closed source will be such a huge hit as them, I think getting 3,000,000 would be very good well on this we can ask Rota.

Again, there are less than 50,000 people in the world that have even heard of, and remember Tremulous.

And many people that would pay for professional native linux FPS open-source game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:23:09 AM by EpicalDude »

Offline Machine Medic #68 on: December 29, 2012, 02:25:11 AM

• Hero
  • Been there. Done that.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Irrelevant to the topic, my nigga.

Not your topic. 

Urmom is so fat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0qMpmYXl8A0#t=18s

NO, UR MUM IS SU FET!

No, really.  Yo'mamma jokes aren't funny.  Don't go all potty-mouth on me, either.

do not spam posts without any merit

Not gonna say anything.

Wikipedia

No.

Here I shown you and other forum readers how open source can be very commercially successful both if non-free, as well as when done completly free (in pricing terms).

Stop echoing.

It can be done, if the company is very well known, and it has a very large support base.

Tremulous is not very well known, and does not have any support base.

will be decided by Rota but hopefully he can consider ideas here too.

He's only been watching this thread for the last 50+ posts.  Lol.  Silence is the universal 'no'.  Especially when he's already said No.

Trem is known as like 1 of 3 good linux FPS.

That's because it's one of the few good FPS games that can be played on linux.  And there are STILL only 45 players daily.

"linux guys" are very unhappy about it being closedsource.

"linux guys" knew exactly what they were shutting themselves off from when they went and threw away their copy of Windows.  They made their decision, they can suck it up and live with it for all I care.

And if they do not pay then they will not get the game.
The beauty of crowdfunding in advance :)
It's perfect anti piracy really.
No one can break it. If people do not pay as much as Rota needs, then no one gets the game and Rota does not risk working while being unsure about income size in next years.

It's called a 'Venture-Capital Loan', and I'm pretty sure AAA has already taken one out if they're actually serious.

The closed source games that are on Steam are not piratable?
They are not on the pirate bay? really?
For example which popular game?

All of them.

You can pirate the game all day long, but if you don't have permission from the Steam authentication servers to use it, it's just wasted hard drive space.

AFAIK, all Steam games authenticate on launch. 

2x 980ti @1.3GHz, 5820k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2.4GHz, SSD 950 512GB & 850 1024GB.

=\Co-Leader of Contra Clan/=

Offline Gunther #69 on: December 29, 2012, 02:44:19 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards

All of them.

You can pirate the game all day long, but if you don't have permission from the Steam authentication servers to use it, it's just wasted hard drive space.

AFAIK, all Steam games authenticate on launch. 

That really doesn't matter. What makes the game un-pirateable is (so far) a log-in system...unlike nice "acquired" Valve games like Portal.  :D

Why spam more? Three people posting random crap to prove the others wrong while being proven wrong already.
Now you see me...now you don't...headshot

Offline EpicalDude #70 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:45 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Wikipedia
No.

Lol, you do not accept wikipedia and it's referneces as sources? Then there is nothing to discuss with you on the internet if you just refuse any arguments hehe :)

It can be done, if the company is very well known, and it has a very large support base.

It will be not so easy cashgrab as Carmagedon or Wastelands, but not necessary impossible.

They are using Kickstarter anyway.

If it will be DRM free it will get them more funding and more customers.
Run on linux - also (at least wine compatible).
And other points too, with downsides being what.. that other engine would be used. What is the next best engine that runs on linux?

Being open source: again 1) the engine choice  2) anti-botting is imo idiotic for the reasons stated above (that no one yet replied to)  3) anti-piracy is imo not needed at all (pirates gonna pirate, buyers gonna buy and that's it).

Now if you want to provide anything construcitve then sit down like I did, find some links get the numbers, then do some math, write pros/cons and then we know how different options might affect profitability & popularity of it.

If you don’t want to provide constructive feedback then fell free to suck my cock which picture you can find somewhere on RCZ trem gpp forum (it's amazingly sweet).

It's called a 'Venture-Capital Loan', and I'm pretty sure AAA has already taken one out if they're actually serious.

The problem remains but is then VC and/or publisher problem instead of AAA problem. Still it will affect AAA, Im sure they want game to be commercial success no matter how directly it affects their money.

All of them.

If you mean that the game server will not let the player in:
thank you for proving my point about piracy and close-source;
For anti piracy make game open-source because as we said anyone can get the CLIENT and make the SERVERS not accept invalid keys, or at least the best servers (yours).

If you where saying it about DRM, then DRM is always crackable and only the honest users are affected (read: pissed as fuck) by it. And they turn into pirates because they pay more and get WORSE service as not-pirates when it comes to DRM.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:00:39 AM by EpicalDude »

Offline Loki #71 on: December 29, 2012, 09:05:19 AM

• Hero
  • Awards
    • View Profile
    • Awards

but you use only facts and theories
Lol? :D

Anyway, thats all you got KID? :D

That's good question but for your rotten brain :)
You use what you know from websites, can't you understand? Then it's in later stage of brainrot, I see.

That's actually what I said, you just agreed with me, now gtfo.

Offline Rotacak #72 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:45 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
EpicalDude: I had to add new rule http://forum.tremulous2.com/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2 so please stop using "nigga" and "fat moms". If you want to continue, go there http://trem.rotaxmame.cz

Offline EpicalDude #73 on: December 29, 2012, 04:12:02 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
EpicalDude: I had to add new rule http://forum.tremulous2.com/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2 so please stop using "nigga" and "fat moms". If you want to continue, go there http://trem.rotaxmame.cz

Trem RCZ really wants to remain the better Trem :)

One more idea comes to mind: will the servers, protocol, be open enough so that a compatible open source clients could join if created?

Offline grmg.pl #74 on: December 29, 2012, 05:08:09 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Lol, even the "most open source" Unanquished doesn't care about EpicNabs' vision.
Lol, hahahahahahaha :D